What No Crossbow Hunters?

loneranger

RE: What No Crossbow Hunters?

Postby loneranger » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:26 am

The young muscular bow hunters can rant at Cross bow users all they want ,but wait until they get older and their bodies start to fail them. Then CBs will not look so "EVIL" !

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:49 am

I didn't start deer hunting seriously until I was 34 and until now (4 years later) it's been with rifle only.  I hunt in Alabama and decided I'd like to take advantage of the early bow season this year.  They allow crossbows so yes I took the easy way out and bought a Wildcat C5 entry level crossbow.  With work I don't have time to practice with a regular bow.  Heck I haven't even been able to sight my crossbow in yet and the season opens up in 6 days, the disadvantage of living and working in the city.  Once you sight in a Crossbow you're good until you knock it around and move the scope.  The Crossbow also gives me a little more range.  As far as muscle I can tell you that for me it's a lot tougher to pull that 150 lb. crossbow string back than most bows.  Sure it locks and you don't have to hold it in place but getting it there is another story.  If I'm successful with the Crossbow maybe later on when I have more free time I'll consider a traditional bow.  Until then I have 4 weeks of hunting before the guns start going off and the deer turn more nocturnal!  Good luck everyone, I'll be sure to post the pic of my first Crossbow kill!  

deerhunter713

Postby deerhunter713 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:26 am

Horton HunterMax 200, Horton scope, Horton carbon fiber bolts, Steel Force Premium 100 gr broadheads.

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:49 am

You know ther are cables for cocking a crossbow. You don't have to pull it by hand.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:18 pm

I have always wanted a crossbow. I hunt with compound bow and inline muzzleloader. Unfortunately my list of outdoor toys is long and it is down at number 6.

Here in Indiana the second half of archery (first week of Dec - through first week of Jan) we can use crossbow.

It is still a primitive weapon that has a greatly reduced range from a rifle, shotgun, and even a modern inline muzzleloader. I see no problem what so ever with using a crossbow to hunt. Just like with a bow (traditional and compound), and muzzleloader you will get one shot 95% of the time and that is it.

Traditionalist need to get a grip. Even primitive cultures upgraded their weapons and refined as they discovered better ways to do things. Heck if you follow that logic to ultimate conlusion why don't we outlaw all weapons and hunt by throwing rocks and jumping down from trees with clubs.[;)] Hmmmm, that kinda sounds like fun...[:)] But alas, those are weapons too.

Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:23 am

ORIGINAL: Legnip

I have a scope on top. The parts are pretty tight. It may just be trigger panic or punching the trigger.

You should see all of the complaints against crossbows in the MI forum. It's almost comparable to someone suggesting that we fish for trout with dynamite at a Trout Unlimited Banquet.

Yeah the MI forum is pretty heated!  They didn't appreciate it when I gave them my views since I wasn't FROM MI!  Like I said in their forum, a bow is a bow, long bow, compound bow, and now cross bow!  What someone finally said was kind of ironic.  Cross bows have been around in history long before compound bows came along, back to ancient times! 

encore

Postby encore » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:27 am

i've been bow hunting since i was 16 years old,recurve,compound,and now a x-bow. always looked down at the x-bow users! a few months back i injured my right arm and shoulder,so bad i could'nt even pull my bow back 2" i applied for x-bow permits for wisc. and mi.. got both. if it was'nt for being able to use a x-bow this year i would'nt have been able to hunt in the archery season. oh ya i'm almost 55 now. like someone else said just wait until they get older and can't pull their bows back anymore! what are they going to do quit!!----tom p.s they're not as easy to shoot as they think.

Bohunter

Postby Bohunter » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:05 pm

I have hunted Hog's with a CB put not deer.

Bulls eye

Postby Bulls eye » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:02 pm

I shoot a Horton Hunter 175lb crossbow with a Horton red dot. I use 20 inch Horton Lighting Strike bolts tipped with a 100 grain Muzzy MX broadhead. I have killed 5 deer with it so far. 1 nine point, 1 eight point, and 3 does. Most have been in the 18-23 yard range, farthest was 33 yards. Love that crossbow!!!! 

moxie1884

Postby moxie1884 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:23 am

I've been shooting a Barnett Quad 300 for the past five years and am now looking to up grade to something better.  I'm caught between a Barnett Predator or the Excaliber Equinox and not sure which wayI'll go yet.
Terry

PreviousNext

Return to Crossbows