Any advice...

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
HiddenHornsRanch

Any advice...

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:39 am

Recently I have been bow hunting every chance I get...in the past 3 weekends I have had 3 different mature bucks ( 2 -10pts and 1-9pt) come out at 100 yds or farther...when they woul begin to walk away, I would start a light rattle sequence, enough to catch their attention...each one walked towards me once I got their attention...each one would stop though at 50 yds and not come any closer, they shouldnt have smelled me because I was all my hunting clothes in autumn formula by scent killer, spray myself in scent killer, I am wearing leafy camo by redhead, and stuck in a bunch of cedars and a few oaks...any idea as to what might be going wrong, or could they just loose interest???
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

allthingshunting

RE: Any advice...

Postby allthingshunting » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:30 am

I think they came to where they felt they should be able to see what was making the rattling.  Once they could not locate any deer in the area, they sense something isn't quite right.  Try using a decoy.

This is similar to what many turkey hunters experience.  They can call them in to about 60 yards, but getting them to come that additional 20-30 yards for a good shot is very difficult.  However, get them to see the decoys, and usually one will experience a different outcome.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:13 pm

i would definitly agree
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:23 pm

Ditto theyre "hanging up".
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:11 pm

I also agree. But just as in turkey hunting, there are ways to overcome this.

Mixing up your calling can help. You may want to toss a few grunts at him. I have also had fawn bleats bring them in a little closer.

Another idea might be to use a decoy. As in turkey hunting, this can work against you. But with a good wind and an aggressive buck, it could be the trick.

I have not done much rattling up here yet, as I believe it is a bit early. While I know nothing about Texas, I would assume that it is a little early for you too. Not that rattling early is "bad" but it will be more successful as the rut begins.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:42 pm

Instead of using the rattling, try a grunt.  I've been in this type of situation myself before.  When you are grunting, lift the grunt call over your head, and point it in the opposite direction as they are.  Since grunt calls focus their noise in a more direct direction than rattling antlers do, there is a good chance you will be able to get the deer closer to you, as they think the activity is going away from them, but not out of range.  Give it a shot.  Gl

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:32 am

Dont believe that they cant smell you just because you used scent killer.  Deer have remarkable noses and you are NEVER scent free in spite of advertisers claims.  The only way you were definitely not scented was if there was a discernable wind coming from the deer to you.

Return to Best Practices