Ethical outfitting?

Planning a guided deer hunt? Looking for tips in choosing the best outfitter? Discuss options here.
retniop11

Ethical outfitting?

Postby retniop11 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:57 pm

I need your opinion. Do you think its ethical for a guide to hunt at the same time as paid hunters?

kellory

Re: Ethical outfitting?

Postby kellory » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:22 pm

I have never paid for a guided hunt, but in my opinion, If I am paying for your time and expertise, I expect your full attention, and your focus is MY hunt. And welcome to the forum. :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

retniop11

Postby retniop11 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:30 pm

Hey, thanks for your input. I am new to the outfitting business and have a guide that wants to hunt with the paid hunters. I also think it is bad for business. Thanks again.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:10 am

IMO a guide should be guiding, not hunting.
Last edited by Ohio farms on Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

retniop11

Postby retniop11 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:35 pm

Thanks for your opinion. I agree. Seems like it would be bad for business to me. We are going through some big changes and I hope this is going to be one of them. I also have the chance to hunt, but I declined.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:17 pm

You were both invited by your clients? unusual. However, You are providing a service, not a club.For you to do that service well, I would think you would need to be nearby, and alert for the benefit of the client. So if you have a shot, the client would have the same shot at the same target. Thus robbing the paying customer.
By all means correct me if I am wrong, but I think the guide should guide. The only weapon the guide should carry should be a back up in case of malfunction, or danger (bear, cat...ect)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

retniop11

Postby retniop11 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:43 pm

Sorry for the misunderstanding. We are in two counties. We have a membership in one and guided hunts in the other. We are going through some management changes and are fulfilling our obligations to hunters who purchased hunts. One of the members is helping out with the guiding in exchange for hunting in the same county as the guided hunts. He told me that I could do the same. I have expressed my concerns about this and wondered if I was out of line. I was interested in knowing if any other outfitters had guidelines about this. I'm sure top rated outfitters would not let this happen or they would not be top rated long. Looks like we are in agreement that this is wrong and this should be resolved before hunting season!
Thanks for your opinion.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:53 pm

Sir, it sounds like a barter agreement, and I can find no fault with it, as long as the paid hunt and the guide's hunt are at different times, there should be no conflict of interests. by all means, let the guide hunt. but when acting as guide his focus must be (IMHO) for the best interest of the client.

Return to Guides & Outfitters