Gndr Mnt. extra warranty

3 to 1

Gndr Mnt. extra warranty

Postby 3 to 1 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:28 pm

I bought a wild game IR4 combo pak last fall on sale at Gander Mountain. The sale clerk asked if I wanted to purchase the replacement warranty. He said, it was for 1 yr after the maufactures warranty. I thought, if I get 2 good years out of this I'm good if not it will get taken care of. Well here I am 1 yr and 2months later with a camera that doesn't turn on. Manufacture warranty is for 1yr. , so I called the "Summit Protection plan" claim phone number. They ummed ahhed and said the warranty plan starts 30 days after the purchased date. I said, why would I purchase a warranty for the same time as the manufactures warranty? After a lengthy discussion they brought to my attention the "print on the back" of the paper work for the warranty. Yep!!!! It was printed on the back , starts 30 days after purchase. Not after manufactures warranty. I WON'T BE BUYING ANYMORE OF THOSE WARRANTIES FROM THEM. Thats not how it was explained at the time of purchase. Has anyone else tried to use Gander Mountains warranty plan?

bobow

Re: Gndr Mnt. extra warranty

Postby bobow » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:41 pm

I have not tried to use a warranty from Gander Mtn or ever purchased one.

It seems that when you buy anything anymore there is the extended warranty pitch. I wonder they are verbally sold as an addition but in reality they are what you encountered?

If that is the case, it is quite the con game. Who knows, maybe the clerks don't know any better but why buy the warranty if it doesn't extend the original? Duh!

It smells fishy for sure. :(
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:45 am

I bought a Cordura nylon holster at Cabela's last year. The cost was $14.96. I was asked if I wanted to purchase a 2 year warranty extension for $15.00.
I know that the young girl behind the register didn't dream up this financial scam, but I was compelled to answer her. I told her I'd go back and get another holster for an additional $14.96 and then carry it around with me in case the first one failed, thus saving 4 cents over the cost of the "warranty". I don't think that she understood the sarcasm. Every store seems to be doing this now. WalMart tried to sell me a one year warranty on a CD for $1.00. The cost of the CD was $5.00. I explained that , if the CD was defective, I would bring it back and they had better give me another one whether I purchased the warranty or not.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:58 pm

3 to 1 I would put the camera in the car and go back into Gander Mountain Get another camera off the shelf take it up to the counter and have them explain the warrenty to you.If they ramble the same BS to you ask to see the Manager and have him explain the warrenty again if it the same thing they told you last year Tell them you will be right back go out to the car get the old camera bring it in with reciept say here you go! If they start back peddling let them know you have no problems with small claims court, or calling the local news, but be prepared to follow through and have a wife or friend present with you :D

fr0sty

Postby fr0sty » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:05 pm

wgi replaced my ir4 several months out of warranty. Wouldn't hurt to give them a call.

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:54 am

This approach may not appeal to everyone, but for what it's worth........whenever confronted with a situation
such as described above where you are trying to get some satisfaction from a clerk or especially when talking
with the department or store manager, it often helps your case if you talk a bit load........this is particularly
true if there are other shoppers in the vicinity. I'm not advocating being rude or nasty or using foul language,
just making your point and being somewhat loud will usually gain the attention of those other shoppers and
the store representative will want to avoid any sort of scene that might cause other shoppers to maybe question
the ethical practices of that store. Won't always work, but just another tool to use when called for.
It isn't what happens to us, it is how we deal with it, that matters most.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:06 am

When I am asked if I would like to purchased an ext. warrenty my repley is is this product any good? course they say yes , so I say then I don't need the warrenty. I never buy ext. warrenties on anything I buy. If they weren't making money on this they wouldn't be offering them for sale.
Doug

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:38 pm

If you felt you were cheated with the warranty deal, you could buy a new camera (the same kind) put your old camera back in the box. Return it, stating that there is something wrong with it and you just want to return it.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

rchiruck

Postby rchiruck » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:37 am

The customer service rep was definitely in the wrong telling you the warranty covers a year past manufacturer.

That being said, the protection plan is actually a very good one. Where the manufacturer warranty only covers manufacturer defects, defects in workmanship, etc etc...the protection plan covers against ANYTHING that may happen. If you accidentally run it over with your truck, it'll cover it for the 13 months. I normally buy them on my fishing poles because even if I'm an idiot or pissed that I didn't get any good catches and close the pole in my truck door, it covers it and I get the price of the item right back. I've done this seven times with various products. It's not as shit of a warranty as people think.

Return to Scouting Cameras