Okay Fellers Whats He Score?

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
EatDeer

RE: Okay Fellers Whats He Score?

Postby EatDeer » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:09 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

High 140's.

3.5 yrs old.
I agree with JPH. Passin through , I know you live in a southern area, so the deer could be older, the body sizes of mid-west and southern deer are not ther same. Mid-western deer tend to have larger bodies at 4.5 and 5 years of age. I really like that extra browtine above the eye, but that will end up as a deduction for a typical score unless it's not part of the mainbeam, regardless that mature buck will make a really nice trophy.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

stumpsitter66

Postby stumpsitter66 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:30 am

I'd guess 3.5 years old. I scored him twice and came up with 148 the first time and 146 the second time.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:12 am

Looks to be on the young side of 3.5. 

I'd say 130-135 on the rack - it's pretty narrow and not a lot of mass.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

paulie

Postby paulie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:46 am

I'm sayin, 150's. At least 3 1/2, I'm thinkin 4 1/2 though.

passin through

Postby passin through » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:50 am

ORIGINAL: EatDeer

ORIGINAL: JPH

High 140's.

3.5 yrs old.
I agree with JPH. Passin through , I know you live in a southern area, so the deer could be older, the body sizes of mid-west and southern deer are not ther same. Mid-western deer tend to have larger bodies at 4.5 and 5 years of age. I really like that extra browtine above the eye, but that will end up as a deduction for a typical score unless it's not part of the mainbeam, regardless that mature buck will make a really nice trophy.

ED-  you're the only one that noted the difference in Southern and Northern deer.  I made my guess on his age with a little historical knowledge.  In our area to throw horns like that he almost always is at least 4.5.  In 20 years of keeping records we have never had a deer over 130 younger than 4.5.  (that's with me, the state biologists and occasionally an LSU program helping with the aging)  According to a DMAP newsletter we received a few years back there is a theory going round about the southern pine/hardwood habitat....basically it says our deer range around 1 year behind on body wieghts and antlers.  I don't know if its all hookum or not but I remember when we allowed spikes to be harvested.... without fail they were all 1.5 now we have more retrictions but on the low end we only average about one deer a year that is forked and in the 1.5 age group.  Usually they are 2.5 or better.  Everybodys opinions on the score seem mirrored here...its my brothers stand but the buck and his 3 amigos are starting to branch out....two amigos now.... the wide 8 bit the dust Saturday.  I am attaching pic of him...he was 3.5 by the jawbone.  It was cool a kid I helped find a stand got him.  He is a trophy too as is the big one and the other two roaming on that ridge.  I would guess though my brother ain't too happy with me right now[:D]  Just paying him back for that "run deer!...run!" gag he pulled last muzzleloader season.

Previous

Return to Photo Corner