Pro Shop/Hunting Stores

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Demoderby4

Pro Shop/Hunting Stores

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:38 am

Ok guys i have been entertaining this idea around in my head for a good year or so and i really think im going to do it but i just wanted to get some feedback from you guys that might own/work at a pro shop. I really want to open my own pro shop/store. I am going to get a Assoc. in Businees Mgt. im totally changing my major but it will only take me a little over a year to get the degree. I'm just wondering how were u guys able to get your shop open, how much am i looking to be spending to open up? ( i know it will depend of where i choose to and how big the building is) but im just really looking for some advice and i figured who better to ask than you guys that might own your own shop or know someone who does. Thanks for any info you can provide!!

JPH

RE: Pro Shop/Hunting Stores

Postby JPH » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:51 am

I've never had the guts to open a buisness (I'd rather crawl into burning buildings, at least the pay is steady) but I've known a few guys who have. One thing I have heard over and over is how hard it is to compete with the mega-stores.

I tried to remain loyal to my local archery shop(before they went belly-up), but money talks. I think you need to be ready to go the extra mile for your customers and stive to stand out for doing so. I doubt any mom and pop pro-shop can match the prices as Cablelas, so you have to be able to sell yourself.

If you want to open up in my home town, I'll be your customer. I'm tired of driving 20 miles and standing in line to be waited on by a 19 year old kid.

Good luck.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:12 am

If you start with anything less than $100,000 you're probably in for a struggle.  Look for a building that allows you to incorporate an archery range in it if possible, you'll be able to build a customer base from the people using the range as well as clubs you might be able to solicit. 

Utilize the internet as a way of making additional sales, set yourself up a website with a shopping cart.  The beauty of the web is you won't need to have a large inventory "on hand", you can fill orders as they come in.

Customer service is key - I have a pro shop less than two miles from where I live, but I'll drive 20 miles to Cabelas because they provide excellent customer service. 

The larger your bankroll the better off you will be.  You will want to be able to focus 100% on building your business.  Without the large bankroll you may find it difficult to make ends meet and end up taking a second job to support your dream.  Doing that will negatively impact your prospects for success.

Best of luck.  Let us know how it all works out.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:13 am

Thats what i was thinking, i don't really want to be in an area with a gander mountain or cabela's nearby. I know their is still the internet, but if i can get in an area where their really isn't one nearby i would do that and i think i could make it work. I would like to think i could make it work nearby one of those mega stores eventually but i wouldnt want to start out that way. I def would be willing to go the extra mile for my customers and help them out in anyway, the prices at the bigger stores are great, we cant deny that, i probably wont be able to match them, but i hate being treated like i dont know anything when i walk in there and try to get some advice, and then i have to wait 20 minutes to get the answer or wait for the product. It's something i have wanted to do for a long time and im willing to put the time and effort into making it work, thanks for the post!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:19 am

I was thinking probably nothing less than 200,000 or so to start out with, given i can get a loan lol! An internet site would be a must have for the place. Unfortunately, i'm pretty sure i would fail without some sort of advertisement on the web, or at all for that matter! And i would for sure set up a shopping cart type of system. And customer care is what i want to pride myself on, i know that is one of the most if not the most important priorities on people's mind, i know its def. high on my list so i will make sure i have that! Thanks a lot, this is going to help out a lot im sure! And i would love to put an archery range in it but i was talking to a local shop and the guy said it was near impossible to get the place insured because of the range he had in it years ago, needless to say he got rid of it lol.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:25 am

Check out your local community college for resources, they might have a small business development center.  These can be an invaluable, and oftentimes free resource for people wishing to start their own business.  Also you states department of commerce may be able to provide you with some direction as well.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:31 am

Will do, thanks. Im going to schedule my classes for the winter in a few days, i'll have to ask about it!

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:33 pm

If you own a business you will be bombarded by people wanting donations for everything under the sun. You will need to be involved with the community. The best way for a pro shop to do this is to sponsor the archery in the schools program at your nearest middle school.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:28 pm

Like stated above, you have to go the extra mile for your customers.  That means not hiring dufaces who want a job, and not being secretive either.  You have to have a few people who know a lot about all aspects of hunting/fishing.  Whatever you want to focus on.  I used to work at Gander Mountain in WI.  Yes, money talks, but most of the people who knew what they were talking about didn't work on the floor, they were managers and shipping and what not.  The same remains true.  They know how to hunt/fish/camp, but they don't know what works outside of where they do it.  As far as DICK's...enough said.  Cabelas, not sure...it's a drive for me, and I haven't been there too often.  Fleet Farm is about the same as Dick's.  All of these places have the equipment, but most of the people don't know too much about it.  Out of the pro shops I've been to, most of them are too secreative.  Which isn't good for their business.  There is a fine line, it's possible to succeed.  You have to be patient, and don't expect things to happen over night.

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:35 am

there is one for sale in l,burg tn (pops bait shop) if your interested the man that owns it also owns a logging business & he said that the 30,000$ that he made off of it last year wasnt worth the trouble to him i can get you a phone # if your interested & want to move south
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

Next

Return to General Discussions