Field Notes Michigan

WiredToHunt

RE: Field Notes Michigan

Postby WiredToHunt » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:35 pm

That sounds like it was pretty sweet watchin those bucks spar out in the field, I've never been lucky enough to catch that happening out in the wild. Anyone else seen bucks fighting while you were out huntin?

Also for you guys that have been out recently, any news in regards to increased sign or rutting activity yet?
Wired To Hunt
The Deer Hunting Blog for the Next Generation
http://www.wiredtohunt.com

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:16 pm

I have noticed there is a few more bucks chasing does. I have watched that field for years now.. It holds some true monsters, scoring from 120-170's.  I also saw a 4pt and a moster 10 spar for about 15 mins about a month and a half ago. I keep grunting to no luck. Im going to throw out the decoy, do a little rattling and grunting tomorrow morning.

Today I got out and hunted in the evening. I hunted for about 3 and a half hours. At 6:21 I cought a deer walking by when I turned my head, unfortuntly it saw me before I could get a good look and she was gone. I couldnt tell if it was a buck or doe. Once again while getting down from my stand I scared deer on a trail about 100 yards away. I may move in that area this weekend, hang a stand and hunt it next week. Try somthing new. Other than that the weather was cold and a slight breeze to the south.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:34 pm

Well i got pulled over last night for a burnt out headlight and the cop said they have had a crazy amount of car-deer collisions lately, so that could be a sign that the bucks are starting to chase. As for the sparring i have never had the experience of watching one happen, i hope i do sometime though, that would be awesome.

I went out today, sat down at 2:15. I hadn't been out in a while so my hopes were kinda high to at least see something, but, no luck. Didnt see a thing, i would be set with meat for a year if i were hunting squirrel! But it was really disappointing, but i saw another guy walking out from a different spot, (i thought i was one of 2 people out there forbow but i guess not lol) he said he saw one out by another stand looking over the field where i saw all those rubs, so i think im going to sit in the stand where the guy saw that one next time i go out there.

I'm gonna go check out some more state land tommorow that me and my dad have hunted the last 4 years and see if i can pick out a spot for gun season when the rut kicks in.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:07 am

Went out this morning, I was in stand at 5:55am. Im hunting a new spot. I sat until 9:52. It was cold with a frost on the ground. Hardly no wind, but it was swarling when there was. Saw nothing on stand, but when I got on my 4-wheeler and drove down the road I saw 1 standing in the road.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:09 pm

Went up to that state land today, found a hell of a lot of buck sign up there! Scrapes and Rubs all over, set up a ground blind about 30 yards off one trail where their was a lot of sign and left, im gonna go back early next week and make another one where i found some more heavy sign hopefully they havent been taken yet, im thinking about heading up there opening day now after seeing all of that! Didn't see anything until i left, i saw a doe in a field at about 620, i didnt have a doe permit for stateland in Huron County though and she was pretty far off, i was hoping a buck would come out after her, but nothing, then i saw like 7 more in another field when i was driving out, they were pretty big too! Sorry about your luck again deercamp, our luck is bound to change for the better soon enough! lol. Oh yeah and i almost hit another deer driving home :/

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:52 pm

Went out this evening.. Wind blowing hard to the north west. It was spose to rain today and thank God it never did. I was able to sneek out of work at 2:30 and be in my blind by 3:30. I sat till 7:07 as it got dark quick tonight. I jumped 2 deer while walking to my tree stand. While in stand I didnt see anything till 6:31. A doe from the looks of it came in to my area, needed about 10 more steps when the wind changed and off she went. I sat for about a lil while hoping something eles would walk by. I got down and jumped 2 by my 4-wheeler.

All in all it wasnt a bad day of hunting. Considering I didnt even think I was going to make it out due to hard rains coming. Oh well no deer but can't complain.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:52 pm

Im headed back up into the thumb tom to set up another spot for my dad for gun season, hoping to see some fresh sign after the rain and everything that came through, i'll probably end up sitting for the night hunt, i'll let ya guys know how it goes, hopfully i can get into range this time!

WiredToHunt

Postby WiredToHunt » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:13 pm

Well nothing terribly exciting for me to report. I got to hunt all day Friday, Saturday morning and Sunday evening. I saw 22 doe and another young buck. I'm still waiting for one of the big boys to cruise by. I suppose I can't complain too much since I'm consistently seeing deer, but I'm really itching for a shooter. On another note I finally am seeing some more buck sign, as a few scrapes have been popping up around my stand. Hopefully next Friday I can bag my buck, and then a week from tomorrow I am heading to PA for 5 days of hardcore hunting. I can't wait!
Wired To Hunt
The Deer Hunting Blog for the Next Generation
http://www.wiredtohunt.com

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:30 pm

Good to hear you are seeing some deer wired! Thats all ya really can ask for when you're out there. Hopefully ya get a chance to bag one soon! I am noticing a lot more sign too, its getting that time of the year! Good luck on friday! Hopefully i'll have some good stories after tomorrow!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:56 pm

Well made another spot in some hardwoods near a thicket where their are about 10 rubs in. Cut some brush and made some lanes hopefully it works out, i know the deer are using the area, and with the rut happening on opening day i know they will be using it to get to thicker cover, they always use that area to get away from pressure so hopefully they do it again this year! Didn't see anything while i was out there but it was about 30mph winds and weather was coming and going. But on the ride home i saw about 30 deer total. A couple bucks too, nothing too big, a bigger 6pt and a fork horn. It was cool to actually see some and know they still exist after not seeing any for so long lol! Going out on thursday to my stand, hopefully i get some action, im gonna start scouting out around there next week for more "rutting" sign.

PreviousNext

Return to Michigan