King buck to be panel scored as typical

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
croz2173

King buck to be panel scored as typical

Postby croz2173 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:49 am

Deer and deer hunting reports the King buck is to be panel scored in Montana as a typical. No date has been released on when this is to happen. Lets hear some thoughts

Deebz

Re: King buck to be panel scored as typical

Postby Deebz » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:11 am

I'm glad the buck is finally going to get it's fair shake. I could care less whether it's a world record or not, it's still an amazing deer. I think it's really a shame that people get so caught up about numbers and records when it comes to hunting. I guess I was just brought up in the hunting culture under a different light. The only competition I've ever felt was between myself and the animal I was pursuing.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:30 am

Common sense prevailed, I guess.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

croz2173

Postby croz2173 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:55 am

Well said Deebz. The records that matter are the fond memories of the hunt.

Im glad we have these two different racks at the top of the books, however the scoring comes out. One is so beautiful with its long tines and symmety, the other looks downright powerful with all its mass and charachter. Great animals!

maverick516

Postby maverick516 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:55 am

Deebz wrote:I'm glad the buck is finally going to get it's fair shake. I could care less whether it's a world record or not, it's still an amazing deer. I think it's really a shame that people get so caught up about numbers and records when it comes to hunting. I guess I was just brought up in the hunting culture under a different light. The only competition I've ever felt was between myself and the animal I was pursuing.

Well said Deebz, I agree. Lucky for B&C too that they have at least decided to score this great deer. My hunting buddies and me were not going to recognize B&C any longer and we were removing all references to our deer B&C scores. B&C would not be allowed to score ANY of our deer ever again. Now, maybe. Everyone just has to take a stand and if no hunters allow their deer to be scored by B&C - guess how fast they change their minds!!

xmatax

Postby xmatax » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:36 pm

It's a shame that after all the controversy and at least 2 people parting ways with B&C they will at least score this buck! Typical or not it deserves to be scored as it is a true monster! I'm just happy that B&C finally decided this is a worthy buck and hopefully good things will come. If this is in fact a new world record typical I hope it grabs some headlines to get people who are on the fence about wildlife, hunting, and wildlife conservation off the couch and motivated to do their part to improve the habitats and engage in the most amazing sport ever!

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:09 pm

That's great. I'm glad to hear that it will be scored by a panel rather than having just having one person declare it to be an atypical.
The bottom line is that it is a GREAT deer regardless of the number that will be assigned to it.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:53 pm

The Boone & Crockett Club posted this on it's Facebook page this afternoon:

King Buck Panel Scoring
September 6, 2012 – Missoula, MT – With the requested additional information and materials having been provided to the Boone and Crockett Club’s Records Department the decision was made on August 20th to convene a judge’s panel to score Johnny King’s whitetail deer taken in Wisconsin in 2006.

Two teams of two B&C official measurers will independently measure the deer and
then collaborate on their findings to determine the deer’s final score before the end of September.

The Club’s Records Chairman, Eldon Buckner will select four experienced judges, with no more than two judges being members of the Club’s Records Committee. All panel members selected will be senior official measurers with no prior personal experience with this particular trophy.

The Boone and Crockett Club’s Board of Directors has not instructed the judge’s panel to score the King Buck as a typical or a non-typical. It is the responsibility of the panel to independently determine the correct way to score a particular trophy using the Club’s scoring system.

The panel’s findings will be the deer’s final score.

The Boone and Crockett Club will not comment prior to the panel and will issue a formal statement once the panel has convened and made its determination in accordance with the Club’s standard practices.

I don't suppose we'll know what day this happens until it has happened.

Steve.
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:03 am

So it appears B&C proves their irrelevance...
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

Next

Return to Breaking News