Ohio Wildlife Biologists Verify Nearly 100 Bobcat Sightings in Ohio

FFKEVIN

Ohio Wildlife Biologists Verify Nearly 100 Bobcat Sightings in Ohio

Postby FFKEVIN » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:24 am

Increased evidence of bobcats living in Ohio's southeastern counties continues with the confirmation of 92 sightings by state wildlife officials during 2009, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife. The reports show an increase from the 65 verified sightings in 2008.

The bobcat was found throughout Ohio during early settlement, but as land was converted for crops and communities the bobcat's population declined. By 1850, the animal could no longer be found living in the state. A handful of unverified sightings in the 1960s marked the bobcat's unofficial return to Ohio. Since 1970, state wildlife biologists have verified 359 bobcat sightings in 31 counties.

Verification of the elusive bobcat includes photographs of the animal and its tracks; encounters through incidental trapping, from which animals are later released; recovery of road kill and sightings by Division of Wildlife personnel. The majority of the 2009 verified reports occurred in Noble County and the immediate surrounding counties.

In an effort to further clarify estimated populations, ongoing Division of Wildlife research is currently utilizing scent stations and remote cameras for observation in several locations throughout southeast Ohio.

These efforts have been supported by the Wildlife Diversity and Endangered Species fund, which receives donations from Ohioans through the state income tax check-off program and by the purchase of cardinal license plates. Individuals wanting to donate can also make an online contribution at www.wildohio.com

The bobcat is listed as an endangered species in Ohio and protected by state law.
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

14milecreekbucks

RE: Ohio Wildlife Biologists Verify Nearly 100 Bobcat Sightings in Ohio

Postby 14milecreekbucks » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:19 am

I've also heard guys talk about seeing bobcats in central Kentucky while turkey hunting. I have never seen one myself while there but I assumed that bobcats were not native to the area.

Everyday Hunter

RE: Ohio Wildlife Biologists Verify Nearly 100 Bobcat Sightings in Ohio

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:08 am

I have bobcats living withing a quarter mile of my house. I've called them in twice during spring gobbler season. And I have a few trail camera photos. Also saw one on opening day of rifle deer season last fall. They can be just about anywhere.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Return to Ohio