Anyone else pre-mark distances?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
msbadger

RE: Anyone else pre-mark distances?

Postby msbadger » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:12 am

no ...because I practice with my deer target from my stands ...I can eye the distances...use to though and I suppose I put my scent cans at certain yrds that I can spot from...but in most part no

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:22 pm

ORIGINAL: msbadger

no ...because I practice with my deer target from my stands ...I can eye the distances...use to though and I suppose I put my scent cans at certain yrds that I can spot from...but in most part no

i use my clip on scent cans too for distance markers[;)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:40 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

I use a rangefinder and range different landmarks when I get into the stand.

My dad does not have a rangefinder, he hunts mostly pines and IMO it is extremely difficult to judge distances in a pine plantation. I plan on spray painting different colors for different yardages on the pines early next spring.
His pins are green and red so I will use those colors to indicate the yardage and as an easy reference of which pin to use.
I'm thinking it should work good.

Great idea!! Gotta help the old man out. I wish my dad would hunt with me.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:05 am

I've just started using the buried cable flags to premark my distances.  I put one out at 25 yards on each side of my tree.  Seems to help.

Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

dreamtm99

Re: Anyone else pre-mark distances?

Postby dreamtm99 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:51 pm

Well, last season I bought a range finder. The Vendetta Bow mounted rangefinder, and so now distances 10-yards to 75-yards are a gimme.. This has changed it all for me and my bow, no hassles picking up a rangefinder, ranging, then coming to full draw. Now, I draw, aim, tap a button at my finger tip, and and I have the range in front of me. Last season, 2011, I scored my biggest Buck to date, a pope & Young 10-pointer, at 48-yards, as well as my first Bobcat, at 68-yards.... This has totally enhanced my confidence with my bow...
Attachments
100_1266.JPG
my first bobcat, taken 11/2011 at 68-yards
100_1266.JPG (603.3 KiB) Viewed 2039 times
2011-11-09_11-03-29_750.jpg
10point taken 11/08/2011, at 48-yards
2011-11-09_11-03-29_750.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 2039 times
BOW HUNTERS DOMINATE THE WOODS!!!
The thrill of the hunt, tops the thrill of the kill... at least till you recover the TROPHY !!

NOCK 'EM DEAD!!!!!!

memiller

Postby memiller » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:16 pm

Being a second year bow hunter, last year I use to mark my distances with a tree limb, rock or log. But this year a friend told me about a product called Distance Markers by ARMMZ Hunting. They are colored markers to match most pin sights, green, yellow and orange and for $20, you can pre-mark your distance using a range finder, place the markers and you are set for the hunting season. They are very visible especially in the fall, brown, dead leaves! Now I don't have to remember what limb, rock or log. I found them at www.ARMMZHunting.com. They get shipped out pretty quick as well! I'm a happy hunter using them and have Distance Markers at 2 of my hunting locations.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:19 pm

yes, but my range markers are old school and foolproof. These are aluminum gutter spikes sprayed hunter's orange. the spool is mason cord (very tough and low stretch) marked every 5 yards with washers. Clips to blind, branch, bow or bag and spools out 50 yards. very light and easy to use. ;)
spool.jpg
spool.jpg (182 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
Attachments
spikes.jpg
spikes.jpg (492.83 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:21 am

As many posts, I premark areas with my rangefinder once i'm up the tree. Sometimes animals come in so quickly I cannot range them, but I try if I can.
I'd love to be as precise as many of the other posts, but because I bounce around in my climber alot, it doesn't allow me to.
Luckilly most of the areas I hunt, aren't conducive for a shot past 30 yards, so exact distance isn't as critical as those hunting field edges/food plots.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:55 pm

scottflesher wrote:As many posts, I premark areas with my rangefinder once i'm up the tree. Sometimes animals come in so quickly I cannot range them, but I try if I can.
I'd love to be as precise as many of the other posts, but because I bounce around in my climber alot, it doesn't allow me to.
Luckilly most of the areas I hunt, aren't conducive for a shot past 30 yards, so exact distance isn't as critical as those hunting field edges/food plots.

Same here. I will range nearby trees right away so I kinda have an idea what distances Im capable to shoot. I also pick apart area and look for open areas for shooting lanes at the same time.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

WonderMonkey

Postby WonderMonkey » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:09 am

For a new stand I print out a map of the spot and pre-range as much as I can. When I get to my stand I'll use that and my estimates and find a few objects that stand out (tree, etc) and assign distances. Then I'll go through a routine to memorize them "Tree with face is 25, large oak is 50, 12 point buck is.... WTH!?!?" and so on. First chance I get I'll either measure the distance or borrow my brother's range finder to get markers. I also won't hesitate to use bright eyes tacks, 1 for 25, 2 for 50, etc. That helps with using the binocs. Soon I'll have the area in memory and I won't have to think much as I know the distance.

My brother, who is a surveyor, can judge distances very well. I find that towards the middle of the hunt I'm much better but without use that skill fades after the season is over. As I played football (HS, Military) and baseball (HS, for a short short career) I tend to judge using those as a guide and it helps for a crude estimate.

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting