Gun Oil Getting Me Busted?

drcard79

Gun Oil Getting Me Busted?

Postby drcard79 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:50 am

I use laundry detergent, dryer sheets, spray, & body wash but was wondering if all of this is doing me any kind of good if the gun I'm taking out in the woods stinks to high heaven (perhaps not to me) of Hoppes oil or any other agent I'm using to clean/tune my firearm or bow.  After cleaning my gun I always wipe excess oil/cleaners off the gun but how much of it really remains when I take it out into the field?  I try to give myself as much time as possible before heading out to let the firearm air out but still wonder how effective even that is.  Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated, I'm really interested to hear everybody's view on this.
Thanks,
Doc

hunter480

RE: Gun Oil Getting Me Busted?

Postby hunter480 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:11 am

Certain odors frighten deer and put them on high-alert. Human ordor would be the number one ordor to frighten deer and cause them to adjust travel.

Additionally, white-tails are bombarded with different ordors daily, and oils/lubricants are one of them. From the scent of fuels for vehicles, farm equipment, to any other ordor asscoiated with machinery imaginable, they smell it.

Even with human ordor, it`s most critical factor, is where it`s smelled. The deer know and expect to capture human ordor in the field when farmers are working their crops.

If you`re doing even the least amount of work to minimize the ordor from your weapon, you`re fine. The slight odor emitted will seem to deer like equipment off in the distance, not in their backyard.

drcard79

Postby drcard79 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:28 am

So if I'm in the deep woods not near agriculture it still could be a problem then basically?  I'm hunting National Forest not near any real agriculture so is it only the deer with close proximity to crops that have learned to not spook at the oil/machinery smells?

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:14 pm

Again, no white-tail in North America hasn`t smelled equipment/macheriny, oil/lubricants. Even in the deep woods it`s about the intensity of the odor.

You bathe in scent free soap, your clothes are laundered in scent free detergent, you spray with Scent Killer, but do the deer still catch your scent?

Of course, but it`s the intensity of that odor. Deer don`t live in a sterile environment, and only catch whiffs of foreign odors when danger is imminent, they`re constantly smelling, testing odors, your job is to make any odors you can`t eliminate as miminal as possible.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:01 pm

i saw a scent free gun oil dont know if it works as advertised
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:27 pm

Hunter 480, I guarentee you there are deer in North America that haven't smelled "equipment/macheriny, oil/lubricants".  Sorry to burst your bubble...but if you want to get technical, there are lots of deer in remote parts of Canada that haven't, and in addition to that, I'd put your 401k savings and Roth IRA's on deer in WI who haven't smelled "equipment/macheriny, oil/lubricants".  I understand your logic here, but don't try to sound more intelligent than you are with powerful statements, that not only cannot be proven, but are quite radical.  There are some deer however, that the last thing they do smell is "oil/lubricants" but that's just before someone pulls the trigger, but I bet you those fawns dropped this year, there are plenty that haven't yet.  Like I said, I'm not trying to burst your bubble, just don't make crazy comments.  You sound like my uncle.  He's lives in Indiana too.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:27 am

ORIGINAL: Gafrage

Hunter 480, I guarentee you there are deer in North America that haven't smelled "equipment/macheriny, oil/lubricants".  Sorry to burst your bubble...but if you want to get technical, there are lots of deer in remote parts of Canada that haven't, and in addition to that, I'd put your 401k savings and Roth IRA's on deer in WI who haven't smelled "equipment/macheriny, oil/lubricants".  I understand your logic here, but don't try to sound more intelligent than you are with powerful statements, that not only cannot be proven, but are quite radical.  There are some deer however, that the last thing they do smell is "oil/lubricants" but that's just before someone pulls the trigger, but I bet you those fawns dropped this year, there are plenty that haven't yet.  Like I said, I'm not trying to burst your bubble, just don't make crazy comments.  You sound like my uncle.  He's lives in Indiana too.

Talk about crazy comments that can`t be proven, "......I guarantee you, there are deer in North America that haven`t smelled.........". You really shouldn`t try to sound more intelligent than you are by making powerful statements that can`t be proven.

I stand by what I said. As habitat shrinks, as more hunters are crowded into less hunting area, deer are not on an island, cut off from exposure to people, just the opposite.

So it`s ok that you think my comments are crazy, ok that you disagree, and you couldn`t ever burst my bubble. I do usually have a pretty good handle on what I`m talking about.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:02 am

I thought you would be able to pick up the "irony" in my comment.  I left it there for you!

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:05 am

ORIGINAL: hunter480

Certain odors frighten deer and put them on high-alert. Human ordor would be the number one ordor to frighten deer and cause them to adjust travel.

Additionally, white-tails are bombarded with different ordors daily, and oils/lubricants are one of them. From the scent of fuels for vehicles, farm equipment, to any other ordor asscoiated with machinery imaginable, they smell it.

Even with human ordor, it`s most critical factor, is where it`s smelled. The deer know and expect to capture human ordor in the field when farmers are working their crops.

If you`re doing even the least amount of work to minimize the ordor from your weapon, you`re fine. The slight odor emitted will seem to deer like equipment off in the distance, not in their backyard.

Wouldn't this work the same for lubricant odors, if a deer smells lubricants way back in the woods where it doesn't belong, wouldn't work the same as smelling human odors where they do not belong. 
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:50 am

ORIGINAL: Gafrage

Ahahahhahhahahhaha:)[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D] LOL LOL.  How true!
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

Next

Return to Scent Attractants/Scent Eliminators