Cheap Mgt. (long post, sorry)

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
Demoderby4

RE: Cheap Mgt. (long post, sorry)

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:48 pm

Ok thanks! Can you kinda define hinge-cutting for me? I have heard the term but i really don't know what it means.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:30 pm

I would like to know that that means as well...Not sure if you remember me talking about this in the last forum at all JPH, but we selective cut one of our properties last fall.  This past spring and summer we've been going in there and cutting up the tops and using what we can for wood (my parents have an outside stove), and putting the branches and whatever else we don't use in big brush piles.  My old man even goes out there now early in the week to cut when he can since I only can hunt on the weekends. 

My question is yes what is hinge-cutting, and do you have anymore advice on what we could do to make this more of a 'deer friendly' habitat?

Thanks!

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:01 pm

Very good question Demoderby. I have to stop asuming that people automatically know what all these things are.
Hinge-cutting is usually done with "pole timber". What I mean by "pole timber" is, trees that are 6"-10" in diameter. When you hinge cut, basically you are cutting the tree about 3 or so feet off the ground, but not all the way through, so the tree is able to lay on the ground and still be attached to the stump. Just cut the tree enough so that it will fall over on the ground. One trick is cutting at a 20 - 30 degree angle. With the tree still attached to the stump, it will stay alive for 2+ years, give the deer food on the ground and cover. It also opens the canopy so that sunlight can get to he ground and encourage new growth. When done correctly, this is not very pretty to the human eye, but the deer will love you for it.

I noticed you mentioned about cutting in Jan-Feb. I don't know if the weather in MI is close to what I have in VT, but we usually try to get out in March to do all of out cutting. It has warmed up a bit, the trees are still dormant and there is less snow to deal with.

Good luck with this and the rest of your season. 

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:55 am

ok thanks a lot! I'll have to do that when the time comes. Yeah we normally have a bit of snow by then but ya never know with the weather here! lol, thanks again!

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:09 am

I like to do most of my cutting in the late winter. When doing hinge cutting, I try to locate an edge area, so that the three will fall into an area where it will still get sun. This also serves to soften the edge, or feather it.

As has been stated, I look for trees that are wrist to thigh size. I will then begin my cut at a downward angle. As soon as there is enough of a cut to cause the tree to sag or lean, I put down the saw and push the tree until it lays over. I have seen instructions for this in which a hand saw is used (I suppose it causes less dammage to the tree) but I have always used a chainsaw. If done right, the tree will remain alive and continue to grow.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:15 am

I did this a few years back, then we had that late April freeze and killed everything I hinged cut.  Left me very unhappy.  Haven't been back in the area we cut to see results as was trying to create a bedding/sanctuary area and figure it is best to stay away.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:06 pm

Thanks JPH, that's probably when we'll start getting to work on cutting! I see you're point though ranwin, that would be very annoying if that were to happen. Now every time i sit in stand and things get slow i will be looking around thinking of how i can make that section of woods work lol, i cant wait to get started!

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:08 pm

Can you post a google link to the topo map perhaps.  So we can all see exactly the layout of your land?  Whiteout whatever you want.  Just don't mess up the layout.  I'm sure some of us would be able to tell you a bit more, especially if we can see the land surrounding your hunting land at the moment.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:28 am

ORIGINAL: Demoderby4

Thanks JPH, that's probably when we'll start getting to work on cutting! I see you're point though ranwin, that would be very annoying if that were to happen. Now every time i sit in stand and things get slow i will be looking around thinking of how i can make that section of woods work lol, i cant wait to get started!

I do this exact same thing when I'm sitting in my stands.  This tree needs to come down, I can extend the plot over there, I need to get some sunlight in here, etc. etc.  It sure is a lot easier to think about doing it then the actually doing of it.  The ten trees I've got picked out to take down next year near one of our plots don't seem like much work right now, but come next spring we'll spend a few days cutting, hauling, stacking, and sweating.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:19 am

Yeah i can try to post a link, but the most updated site i found the picture was taken in the 80's (no joke) so i dont know helpful it would be, but i can do that by the end of the day most likely. Yeah thinking about it will be a lot easier than actually doing it lol! But o well, i'll have some help and i have the will to make this work so hopefully its a good experiance in doing so!

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management