blaze orange on blinds

Compare notes about local and regional legal issues!
shaman

RE: blaze orange on blinds

Postby shaman » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:58 am

Having hunted a lot of crowded public places in the past, I can tell you that it helps tremendously if you can see a hunter on stand or see the blind.  If there is an orange hat across the way, you'll be able to plan your shots to avoid hitting hitting your fellow hunter.  I happen to be the survivor of one close encounter with a slug when a herd of deer came up a shallow creek bottom and ran between my stand and that of the neighbors'.  I would hope that they would have held their shots if they had seen the orange. 

It also helps in spacing out hunters.  If I can see a hunter off in the distance, I'm not going to walk up and plunk myself down right by his stand and try to hunt.  By wearing orange, you're allowing other hunters to make a choice as to whether they are going to encroach on you or not.  Otherwise, they have no way of knowing you are there; if you get disturbed, it is your own fault.

I will stand by what I said:  it is sheer perversity not to be displaying hunter orange during a firearms season. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:51 am

ORIGINAL: shaman

Having hunted a lot of crowded public places in the past, I can tell you that it helps tremendously if you can see a hunter on stand or see the blind.  If there is an orange hat across the way, you'll be able to plan your shots to avoid hitting hitting your fellow hunter.  I happen to be the survivor of one close encounter with a slug when a herd of deer came up a shallow creek bottom and ran between my stand and that of the neighbors'.  I would hope that they would have held their shots if they had seen the orange. 

It also helps in spacing out hunters.  If I can see a hunter off in the distance, I'm not going to walk up and plunk myself down right by his stand and try to hunt.  By wearing orange, you're allowing other hunters to make a choice as to whether they are going to encroach on you or not.  Otherwise, they have no way of knowing you are there; if you get disturbed, it is your own fault.

I will stand by what I said:  it is sheer perversity not to be displaying hunter orange during a firearms season. 

Again, the odds of being shot while sitting on stand, whether on the ground or in a tree, are tremendous. The cover is thick, there are plenty of trees that catch slugs and bullets, and when you consider that it`s difficult enough to hit a target you`re aiming at, it makes it more clear that, it`s just crazy odds of being shot whiile hunting.

I believe orange on a pop up blind is completely unnecessary.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:19 pm

Hey guys...If this kind of safety is a concern I wouldn't personally have an issue with putting up some blaze tape on your blind.  Deer can't see it that well anyways.  I get a kick out of most hunters...They think that they should have as much camo on as possible when they gunhunt and just wear a little blaze here and there.  I think it's crazy cause if you have something like blaze camo, it's practically the same thing to deer as wearing camo.  Something to think about!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:57 pm

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

Hey guys...If this kind of safety is a concern I wouldn't personally have an issue with putting up some blaze tape on your blind.  Deer can't see it that well anyways.  I get a kick out of most hunters...They think that they should have as much camo on as possible when they gunhunt and just wear a little blaze here and there.  I think it's crazy cause if you have something like blaze camo, it's practically the same thing to deer as wearing camo.  Something to think about!

If blaze camo were legal in Illinois, it'd be all I'd wear during gun season. On snow, it'd make you just about INVISIBLE to a deer!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:36 pm

Put Orange on your blind, without question is a good way to survive.  I always make sure my neighbors know where I'm at, prior to the season opener.  I ALWAYS know my target and what's beyond it, but I can't say that about other people.  If they have orange on, they are fine.  I'm shooting at a downward angle, and only at a maximum of 75 yards, in clear shooting lanes, not forcing shots.  I've had slugs shot over my head before, and heard them whistle as they started to spin head over heels.  Sorry, no buck in the world, or squirrel (for that prick who shot over me) is worth risking another person's life.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:21 am

hunter 480 ...tell that to the guy who nearly shot me out of my 16ft tree stand while...not being a small person.... I was wearing full orange....or the guy they killed that was in full orange...or when they nearly shot me in the shoulder and my daughter her first time hunting...then the time Mr. B had a slug actually go through his hair...our nieghbor that was nearly shot out of her ladderstand....thank God for the popular trees infront of her...WE all wear hunter orange... head to toe....theses aren't rife bullets.... slugs go through brush and limbs.....It can't stop the idiots out there...... but at least I know they'er going to jail if we'er hit....and it helps with the actual "hunters" out there who want to be careful while hunting

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:57 pm

Even though I have the orange tabs on my blinds , I still put some Orange Engineer Marking Tape on the blinds . I also wear Blaze Orange break-up Camo . If the orange might alert any deer , I would rather go without than to become a statistic .
I don't think Blaze Orange should be mandated but sometimes the government tries to protect us from our own stupidity !!!

paulie

Postby paulie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:14 pm

ORIGINAL: fasteddie

I don't think Blaze Orange should be mandated but sometimes the government tries to protect us from our own stupidity !!!
       What they are really doin is, negating the process of "natural selection"

Big Buck Daddy

Postby Big Buck Daddy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:55 pm

The regulation states on DNR-governed property.  People can still do what they want on private property. 

I will be putting blaze on my blind!!  I want everyone to know where I am before they shot!  And I'd like to know where everyone else is also.  One day out of the 9 day gun season I hunt with my son (6 years old now) and I don't want to be neglagent.  That would be just as bad as refusing to put him in orange in the first place. 
You can do anything you want, but you'll eventually have to answer to THE MAN for it!

Ugnasty77

Postby Ugnasty77 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:16 am

(havent read what others have said, sorry if this is repetitive) I think it is a great idea. About 5 years ago my uncle shot a nice 8 point buck on some public land. He shot it, dropped it in its tracks, so he just left it there. Well about an hour later out of no where a guy in blaze orange appeared, and then diappeared just as quickly. My uncle was baffeled by this, and started looking around. This other hunter was in a ground blind with no blaze orange on it at all, my uncle had no idea it was there. Had the buck been 10 to 15 yards further back, my uncle could have shot this man, and not even known it. I think haveing the orange as a requirement is a great idea, makes hunting much safer for everyone.

PreviousNext

Return to Regulatory issues