Senior design project-shotgun

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
BRODBECKRT

Senior design project-shotgun

Postby BRODBECKRT » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:06 am

Hello all,
I have posted this on other forums as well but I am trying to get input from as many people as possible.
I am a Mechanical Engineering Technology Student at The University of Cincinnati in my final year. Another student and I are researching a project we feel could be quite helpful. We are developing, designing and building a one handed shotgun for our senior design project. More of the design is the stock than the gun. We came up with the idea because we feel it would help single arm amputees enjoy shooting more comfortably and more accurately. We also have tossed around the idea of use in tactical situations as well. It would be nice to be able efficiently use a shotgun without even the slightest thought of using you other hand. My thoughts are using a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 for the pump version and the Mossberg 935 or Remington 1100 or 1187 for semi-auto.

It is a requirement to gain input from other gun-owners and especially amputees.

I am asking you all for your input, suggestions, products you have seen like this(the more info on them the better. I want to make sure I am not taking anyone's patent or anything), which shotgun(make/model) do you suggest for semi-auto or pump and why?

We do already have a basic design and features list, but I do not want to put it up yet because I do not want to influence your answers in any way. I am more looking for accessories, features, or other things you have used that you added on, modified, or that came with a gun(i.e. a stock I bought for a mossberg was everything I wanted in a gun stock except the end of the butt stock was really thin and was very uncomfortable to shoot. Also when it folded the shells wouldnt eject properly because the stock folded in front of where the shells came out). Which things did you hate or love about them, and obviously why?

Thank you all for your input.

kellory

Re: Senior design project-shotgun

Postby kellory » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:16 am

I use the Mossberg 5oo, and I like it just fine, but a one handed gun it is not. You will have to go semi-auto, or single shot. You will not be able to cock it between shots.
Military guns would not have the barrel requirements of civilian weapons (minimum barrel length) and leverage would work hard against you.
A one handed shotgun would need to strap to, or sleeve your forearm for support and recoil.
One handed shotguns are available now in the form of the revolver "the Judge" and it's various copies.(.410ga)

A sleeved, shotgun with a very short barrel and semi-auto, aimed like a fist, would do very well for self defense, but would not be usable for hunting. except at extremely close range.
A long barreled one would require a rest or tripod mount. (due to leverage and recoil)
The "Judge" is available as a pistol, and as the "Circuit Judge" in a rifle/shotgun version

Good luck with your project, but I think you will have to refine the use of your weapon. :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:39 am

Welcome. I am a graduate of the University of Cincinnati.

I've got two ideas for you:

1) If you're looking for input of this sort, I would try the Hunter's Campfire forum at 24hourcampfire.com. There are a lot of custom gun makers, gunsmiths etc. who might be able to help you.

2) Contact Tim Farmer, the host of Kentucky Afield. http://fw.ky.gov/kyafieldtv.asp Tim's an avid outdoorsman and does it all with one good hand. Not only would he be a good person to bounce ideas off of. He's also tapped into the network of disabled outdoorsmen and can probably give you contact info for the experts in the field. He's frequently seen on his show shooting game one-handed with a 12 GA shotgun

I think this is a great idea.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

BRODBECKRT

Postby BRODBECKRT » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:56 am

kellory wrote:I use the Mossberg 5oo, and I like it just fine, but a one handed gun it is not. You will have to go semi-auto, or single shot. You will not be able to cock it between shots.
Military guns would not have the barrel requirements of civilian weapons (minimum barrel length) and leverage would work hard against you.
A one handed shotgun would need to strap to, or sleeve your forearm for support and recoil.
One handed shotguns are available now in the form of the revolver "the Judge" and it's various copies.(.410ga)

A sleeved, shotgun with a very short barrel and semi-auto, aimed like a fist, would do very well for self defense, but would not be usable for hunting. except at extremely close range.
A long barreled one would require a rest or tripod mount. (due to leverage and recoil)
The "Judge" is available as a pistol, and as the "Circuit Judge" in a rifle/shotgun version

Good luck with your project, but I think you will have to refine the use of your weapon. :)

There will be at least second point of contact on the shooters body other than the hand. A lot of forums have mentioned "the Judge", but we are not looking to turn this into a handgun. We want his to be able to used as a shotgun was intended, as a long gun. The exact details have not been ironed out because we are still researching, but we will be adding recoil absorption into the stock. I do realize that for consumer use I will have to accommodate for 12" of variation in barrel length (18"-30"). We already have ideas for the pump gun one handed operation, most likely relocating the trigger and lengthening the arms that attach the fore grip to the bolt.

Thanks again for the input. Keep it coming. I need as much as possible.

BRODBECKRT

Postby BRODBECKRT » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:57 am

shaman wrote:Welcome. I am a graduate of the University of Cincinnati.

I've got two ideas for you:

1) If you're looking for input of this sort, I would try the Hunter's Campfire forum at 24hourcampfire.com. There are a lot of custom gun makers, gunsmiths etc. who might be able to help you.

2) Contact Tim Farmer, the host of Kentucky Afield. http://fw.ky.gov/kyafieldtv.asp Tim's an avid outdoorsman and does it all with one good hand. Not only would he be a good person to bounce ideas off of. He's also tapped into the network of disabled outdoorsmen and can probably give you contact info for the experts in the field. He's frequently seen on his show shooting game one-handed with a 12 GA shotgun

I think this is a great idea.

Thanks for the forum and the contact. This will be extremely helpful!

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:42 pm

Perhaps you could work out a cocking mechanism that would use the bending of your elbow to cycle the pump, or a vertical fist pump to cycle the pump.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

BRODBECKRT

Postby BRODBECKRT » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:12 pm

I was trying to figure out alternatives or modifications to the fore grip and slide to allow for easier cocking. Keep the ideas/comment/input coming
Thanks for the help

jdbell91

Postby jdbell91 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:50 am

I believe that Mossberg has a "chain saw" pump shot gun. It is used for breaching. There is a handle on top like those found on a chain saw. That may be something to explore in your design.

Good luck!
Semper Fi,

Joe

BRODBECKRT

Postby BRODBECKRT » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:39 pm

All,
We have to give a survey on the project to quantify the importance of each "feature" can you please take our survey at a website we are building for the project.
http://rr-outdoors.com/CustomerSurvey.html

Thanks

Return to General Discussions