Public land deer hunting??????????

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
jamoke67

Public land deer hunting??????????

Postby jamoke67 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:02 am

Me and my dad go up to Onida county Wisconsin and we have a deer camp with a bunch of friends. We don't own any land up there so we go one the hundreds of acres that are public land. So my question is..... Do you hunt on public land? do you have any susses? How do you choose where to go? Thanks for reading.

RNC

RE: Public land deer hunting??????????

Postby RNC » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:24 pm

We hunt both public land and our small family plot. I have had a few run ins with folks on public land but that kind of goes with the terrority. The best way to figure out where to hunt is by scoutting out of season. Walk as much of the area as you can and see how deer are using the terrian. If nothing else this should help you eliminate areas that are unproductive. Also when you are hunting and see deer pay attention to everything they do, what they eat, where they walk, where they go to, what was their mood (relaxed, alert, cautious) this could show you patterns and give you ideas on where to hang your stands. If you can get and aerial photo of the area look for natural bottlenecks in the terrain where deer half to walk through then scout that out.

jdsbuckfever

Postby jdsbuckfever » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:41 pm

me and my dad also hunt public land here in missouri. my dad has shot a nice nine pointer a couple of years ago. he shot a doe last year. my bother shot and missed a doe and a six pointer. it was his first time hunting in about five years. we hunt about a mile off the main road. usually dont see any other hunters.

SDArcher

Postby SDArcher » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 pm

I don't hunt public land myself but I know a guy that hunts public land only for whitetail deer.  He is a very accomplished archery hunter by anyones standards.  I have seen the deer that he kills year after year and it is working for him.  He spends a lot of time doing research and looking at maps.  He goes where he thinks nobody else will or want to go.  If that means more miles on the boots so be it.
Good luck on your seasons!

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:45 pm

Regardless of where you hunt, public or private, the same remains true.  Hunt funnels, escape routes, pinch points...whatever you want to call them (google it if you don't know exactly what I'm talking about).  Just find the thickest cover you have on the land you hunt, with deer sign.  Especially during Gun season in WI.  Sometimes public land has benefits, measured in inches.  Good Luck, and post some pictures of how you end up doing.  I used to hunt big country, Marinette County for a long time with relatives and such.  Then I gained access to land in Waupaca County, and haven't regretted leaving Marinette.  Although I have seen big bucks up there, which were of the older age class.  My point is, hunt the stuff where deer funnel to, where they feel safe.  This usually equates to thicker cover.  You might be limiting your shooting distance dramatically.  It'll pay off, trust me.  When I was in Marinette County, I hunted a funnel (escape route), I saw the most deer out of the 13 person group.  Usually about 5-10 on opening weekend.  I continue to hunt a funnel (escape route), but now in Waupaca County.  Now I see 30-60 on opening weekend.  It's a hold different game, and a lot more deer per mile where I hunt now.  The same remains true though.  Hunt the funnel (escape route) be patient, and the deer will show up.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:24 am

since our camp is gone i hunt public land only.i still see and shoot deer.the horror stories ya hear do happen but mostly on opening day/week after that the se "hunters" are back at the bar or wherever.You have to be willing to walk back further than everyone else also you have to chain up tree stands.Not all public land is created equal either.anything that is flat and easy to access will be crowded ya head for the nasty stuff you may be alone.i have had people walk over to chat etc.while it can be frustrating at times its the price ya pay for not owning your own land.i have met some decent people while in the field or at the road/lot  too.ya cant beat the price[:D]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

rtf9769

Postby rtf9769 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:20 am

Odd there's still deer on public land?

maloney52

Postby maloney52 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:22 am

Hey, all I hunt is public land, and I got a nice buck yesterday, 8-points and 182 lbs weighed dressed out.  He was in full rut too, here in northern NY (Adirondacks, not Syracuse, that is central)

maloney52

Postby maloney52 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:23 am

oops, hit button twice

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:44 pm

public land deer

Hunt to live , Live to hunt

Next

Return to General Discussions