ky wma

bowboxer

ky wma

Postby bowboxer » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:55 am

what is the best west ky wma's for bowhunting for big bucks.

shaman

RE: ky wma

Postby shaman » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:30 am

Frankly, I don't know.  However, I do know how to find out.  Post this question over at KentuckyHunting.net.  They'll have lots of ideas. Tell them the shaman sent you.  Off hand, I'd say the most common suggestion will be Land Between the Lakes. 

The reasons I don't know are manifold.  For starters, I've been concentrating on my own plot in SW Bracken County for going on 10 seasons.  The last time I hunted public land in KY was 2000.  Secondly, big bucks have habits that cause them to be hard to predict.  When I see a big rack out roaming about, I can figure he's got a home range that takes up about half of my county and probably a good part of the next one over.  Third, WMA's are somewhat crowded in KY, at least to my taste.  It's going to be hard to say exactly why a monster is going to want to stick around that sort of pressure and not squirt out into the surrounding land.

Here's another resource for you:

http://fw.ky.gov/app1/publiclandresults.aspx
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

bowboxer

Postby bowboxer » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:15 am

hey thanks for the reply. i was just thinking of trying to hunt west ky. public land would be easy to hunt because you don't have to ask anyone to hunt. i would like to hunt close to illinois, but you go were the deer are.i have a ky hunting guide and do you know where all the big bucks are killed.is it private or public land.i have always wanted to kill a 140 -150 buck. it does have to be 200 class.what kind of plot do you have. i plant shot plot it didn't do any good.

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:13 pm

I have 200 acres in SW Bracken County. 40 acres is in hay. Probably about 5 is in food plots, mostly clover.  This year?  Color it brown and down-- everything is parched.  I was supposed to have 1-2 acres plowed up and planted this year, but he guy never showed up.  It would have been a wasted if he did.   The clover?   It's dirt.  If we get rain, it'll spring back to life and if it stays warm, it'll grow enough to be effective for rifle season.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

kykevin

Postby kykevin » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:13 am

My food plots this year were also all a bust. Planted a little over 4 acres and never got the rain I was needing. Thank god we had a tremendous acorn crop this year.
-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

Return to Kentucky