Founding father of archery

Do you have an interesting field note, photo or observation to share? We want to hear from you!
charlie 01

Founding father of archery

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:06 pm

Let us not forget one of the legendary founding fathers of our sport, Fred Bear. Someone we should all look up to, and be ever thankful of his beginings. He was very instumental in haveing the first bowhunting season established in Michigan in 1937.
I came accross a commemorative issue of a 1973 Bear Archery cataloge that I had put away as something special. There are several pics in it, but one seemed special and I thought I would share it with you. The building pictured, is long gone, but I know where it once stood, approximately 4 miles from property that I have just north of White Cloud, Mich.. It is interesting to see there equipment and what little there is of it. I can see that at least 3 guys have those early pin on compasses. I'm sure that in 1937 it was pretty wild country. As I look at that picture I can't help but wonder how many deer were taken in that first archery season.
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (57.48 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
Image3.jpg
Image3.jpg (23.21 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

bobow

Re: Founding father of archery

Postby bobow » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:34 am

Thanks for sharing!
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

DanburyBowhunter

Postby DanburyBowhunter » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:26 pm

Being from MI and a fan of Unlce Ted I was well aware of Fred Bear long before I picked up the bow. When I went to get my bow the Bear Lights Out felt the best. Low priced but I had faith that the Bear name would be on a quality bow and I was not disappointed.
It is a hard heart that kills. If your killer instincts are not clean and strong you will hesitate at the moment of truth.

genec

Postby genec » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:11 pm

Great photo.Thanks for sharing! Wish someone would collect all these old photos and offer them for sale as frameable art.
Regards
genec/Fudd#1

Return to Deer Browse