Powder Preferences

mojo

Powder Preferences

Postby mojo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:03 am

I currently use 150 gr. 777 pellets out of my T/C Triumph and was thinking of trying something that might be a little cleaner.  Has anyone tried the new Blackhorn 209 powder? Most of the reviews on the Cabellas web site are pretty good for the Blackhorn, far better than what they are saying about American Pioneer powder. What do you all like or dont like?

69Viking

RE: Powder Preferences

Postby 69Viking » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:05 am

A friend of mine swears by the cleaness of Triple 7 but I believe it only comes in 50gr. and 100gr. so not sure it will work for you if 150gr. is what you're currently using.  I haven't bought a muzzleloader yet and I mean YET!

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:29 am

I have not tried it yet.I use 100 gr  777 pellets.
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:56 pm

ORIGINAL: mojo

I currently use 150 gr. 777 pellets out of my T/C Triumph and was thinking of trying something that might be a little cleaner.  Has anyone tried the new Blackhorn 209 powder? Most of the reviews on the Cabellas web site are pretty good for the Blackhorn, far better than what they are saying about American Pioneer powder. What do you all like or dont like?

I haven`t shot it yet, only because I really dislike cleaning my muzzleloader, even as clean as Triple Seven burns.

I`ve traded a couple emails with Toby about this powder however, and he`s really excited about it. The word he gives me is, it truly burns as clean as hyped, has plenty of down range foot-pounds of energy to kill white-tails, and is accurate.

I`ll continue to use Triple Seven this upcoming season, but next year I`ll work up a good load using the new powder.

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:54 pm

I switched to American Pioneer a few years ago after playing with Pyrodex and 777. It's a totally different animal. It's cleaner, lubes the bore, and smokes less (IMO). I won't go back to pellets. 

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:45 am

Did you chronographic the American Pioneer?  You'll find the load velocity a couple hundred feet less than the other brands, possibly as much as 300+.  I found that it became very inconsistent when using last years' pellets but I haven't tried their loose powder.

SNIPERMAN

Postby SNIPERMAN » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:44 am

HI ALL, LOVE 777 USE THE GRANULAR POWER 120GR. A REAL NICE LOAD WITH THE DEAD CENTER 240 GRN BULLET, GOOD SITE FOR ALL YOUR NEEDS IS http://www.eabco.com/Muzzleloader04.htm, ALSO FOR THE BULLETS IS WWW/PRBULLET.COM HOPE IT HELPS.
ORIGINAL: mojo

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:41 am

I've read several articles on the Blackhorn 209 and it recieved all good reviews, however, when I went to purchase it the price was $50 for a pound.  I then opted for the loose triple F triple 7 which my gunsmith recommended.  It's no that I'm cheap but rather that I didn't want to invest $50 in something that may not shoot out of my gun.  I'll wait and try to split the cost with someone.  How is that TC triumph working for you?  I just sold my base model Knight as it has an open breech and jacketed ignition both of which I don't care for.

HoneyHole

Postby HoneyHole » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:26 am

ORIGINAL: beagleman23

Did you chronographic the American Pioneer?  You'll find the load velocity a couple hundred feet less than the other brands, possibly as much as 300+.  I found that it became very inconsistent when using last years' pellets but I haven't tried their loose powder.

I chrono'd last summer when I was trying different bullet/sabot combinations. I haven't compared Pyrodex or 777 to APP though. I did find that sabots can affect velocity as much as 100 fps though. I usually don't hunt with last years powder. I've heard (but never checked myself) that old powder will lose power. I have enough left over from this years batch, maybe I'll check it vs new powder.

little_deer_aaron

Postby little_deer_aaron » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:11 pm

ORIGINAL: 69Viking

A friend of mine swears by the cleaness of Triple 7 but I believe it only comes in 50gr. and 100gr. so not sure it will work for you if 150gr. is what you're currently using.  I haven't bought a muzzleloader yet and I mean YET!

It depends on your muzzleloader in some guns you can use 3 pellets of Pyrodex or 777 in them but only if the manufacture says so. O and they come 30 and 50 grain loads for both Pyrodex and 777, so it takes 2 50 grain pellets to make a 100 grain charge.

Next

Return to Muzzleloaders