Non-Name Brand Food Plots

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
Jwalcisak

Non-Name Brand Food Plots

Postby Jwalcisak » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:02 pm

I am looking for a food plot seed provider that is not one of the big nationally known brands. I would like to see what else is available besides makes like Antler King, Biologic, Tecomate, Evolved Harvest, Whitetail Institutes, etc. I am looking for both a perennial clover based mix as well as brassica, soybeans and peas. Thanks in advance for any info on alternate food plot seed providers.

DBogie59

Re: Non-Name Brand Food Plots

Postby DBogie59 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:16 pm

I buy my clover at the local farm and seed store. I use Ladino clover and medium red clover. I like to mix it with chicory but it's hard to find. Winter wheat is a great cover crop and will last into spring turkey season. Mix all these together and the deer and Turkeys will love it.
I seed all our trails that lead to stands and trails around the farm.

xmatax

Postby xmatax » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:25 am

DBogie59 wrote:I buy my clover at the local farm and seed store. I use Ladino clover and medium red clover. I like to mix it with chicory but it's hard to find. Winter wheat is a great cover crop and will last into spring turkey season. Mix all these together and the deer and Turkeys will love it.
I seed all our trails that lead to stands and trails around the farm.

This is great advice. Visit a feed store or a local co-op and see what they have. Sometimes they will even pre-mix it for you. However, we've had pretty good success with the throw and grow clover mixes for kill plots. For larger plots I would recommend visiting a co-op or feed store and buy from there and it will save you so much money.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:36 pm

Welter seed Company sells just about every thing...so why not just buy the #'s you want for acres and mix your self?...They also will work with you on shipping.....and if you buy on line...you may avoid taxes as well as middle man costs
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:30 pm

We do the same thing,we go to the local Co-op Feed Stores,MFA's and other Feed & Lumber Stores and buy our Seeds from them.Usually they will break up a bag of Clover,Turnips,Rape and Brassicas for Us to buy in what ever pounds of mix we want to plant.A Friend of mine also gets a much better buy on seed when he's down south in Mississippi and we save quit a lot of Rape,Brassicas and Groundhog Raddish seed.

If You watch for sales You can get the Name Brand seeds at a good Price when they are on sale or after the local Planting Season and they need to move their over-stocked items!

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements