Should I wait it out?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:27 pm

Should I wait it out?

Postby Jhucke » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:37 pm

Hey guys first post on this forum. Yesterday was opening day bowhunting here in Wisconsin and I was able to take my shot at a 10 pointer on my land. The shot placement seemed a little low, but was still able to avoid the front shoulder (just above it). I got pretty excited because the exit hole hit the opposite shoulder, sending the buck from a standstill to a flip head-over-heals. I thought that it would have been a perfect shot, but this deer is tough!

I waited about 2 hours to start tracking and when I did, I found blood right away which had me thinking that it would be a simple track. The blood was continuous and plentiful. Unfortunately, I kicked it up a little sending it across a road. Blood covering the road I decided to leave it until morning so he could die in peace.

In the morning (10 hours later), 10 yards from where I left it, I kicked it up again. The deer was laying in a pile of blood but still able to run a little even with the wrecked shoulder. We tracked it for another hour and decided to leave it. This phantom deer is really bugging me. Should I give it another day to die? I'm amazed that this thing is still living!

What would you guys do?

User avatar
Posts: 2696
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:01 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Should I wait it out?

Postby kellory » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:05 pm

Welcome to the forum. You will hear several answers to that question, but here's mine. I would go after it now. ARMED. If you kick it up, put it back down with another shot! I would not wait for scavengers to find it. You said it could run a little, That does not sound like it would be too hard to hit again.
Wherever you hit that deer, it sound like it will be a long time dying.
You have given it plenty of time if it were a hard hit, I don't think you hit heart/lungs , I think you're dealing with broken bone and blood loss. If it is gut shot, the bacteria is loose to play havoc with the meat. I would not wait more time, or you might not have much to recover.
As long as it is legal to be armed while recovering deer where you are, That is what I would do.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

User avatar
Woods Walker
Posts: 4970
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:21 am
Location: Northern Illinois

Re: Should I wait it out?

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:33 pm

Sounds like a non-fatal wound. The deer still may die from gangrene or some other indirect cause. I would go after it with 2 armed people. Track SLOW and CAREFULLY. The person who's the shooter should be NOT watching sign, but looking fro the deer and hopefully a chance to get killing shot. This is not easy to do and luck will play a big part in it. But it may be the only chance you have. It'd be great to get the deer and see where exactky you did hit it at first so you can make sure you never do that again.

This deer may very well live, also, albeit with a limp. They are tough. I've seen deer with a broken leg surviving just fine.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

NRA Endowment Life Member

User avatar
charlie 01
Posts: 664
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:44 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Should I wait it out?

Postby charlie 01 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:20 am

Both good answers guys. As long as he is bleeding, keep pushing him till he gets weak enough to get close enough for a second shot. He has more than a broken leg, that arrow went through him. Keep after him, he will get to a point where he will be too weak to get up.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:33 am

Re: Should I wait it out?

Postby RyanCGrover47 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:25 am

I've got to agree with the guys on this one. If he keeps bedding down like you say, and he's still bleeding; he's getting weaker. Have a person there to look for blood and have yourself look for the deer. If you're quiet and stealthy you should be able to give him one in the pump station and hopefully next time you walk up on him he'll be dead. Keep us updated!

User avatar
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Eau Claire, WI

Re: Should I wait it out?

Postby pgchambers » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:38 am

All good advice if you have the space. If you are close to pushing him onto land you can't access, you may want to back off and let him be. It would be great if we all got along, but I know too many land owners in WI that care less about the animal than they do about keeping the neighbors off their land. Only you know the whole situation, so best of luck.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:38 am

Re: Should I wait it out?

Postby Proline » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:38 am

I guess the guy never got him as he didnt come back with a pic? Agree with Kellroy I would have been right on him the next day trying to get another arrow in him.

Return to Best Practices

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests