Cheap Mgt. (long post, sorry)

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
ranwin33

RE: Cheap Mgt. (long post, sorry)

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:13 am

Oh to be young again. [:)]

Just an idea, and something I wish I would have done when we first started on our property.  Keep a log of everything you do and update it as the improvements progress.  Its a good way to self check on what worked and what didn't.

Also keep a photo journal of everything as well.  It's always fun to look back at what you were doing at the same time but years earlier. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:29 am

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

Oh to be young again. [:)]

Just an idea, and something I wish I would have done when we first started on our property.  Keep a log of everything you do and update it as the improvements progress.  Its a good way to self check on what worked and what didn't.

Also keep a photo journal of everything as well.  It's always fun to look back at what you were doing at the same time but years earlier. 

And think of how this might add value to your property should you ever decide to sell!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:43 am

Yeah i want to get a journal to keep track of everything from scouting ,to plots, to the cutting we do in the woods, and see what works best and where it works and stuff like that. Pictures are always fun too ;)

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:00 am

Since money is tight you might look into selling firewood, it may not work as well as hinge cutting or as fast, but you will still have plenty of tree tops laying around and you'll open up the canopy allowing for new growth and regeneration.  It will also be making extra money that you can spend on other habitat enhancements.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:38 am

Thats a really good idea, i'll have to do that. Maybe do a little of both. Thanks!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:50 am

If i post the property will it show where i put my "push pins" to you guys? or will that only show it for me? It's from the maps.live.com site. I don't know how to like post the picture of it onto this site, sorry. Just wondering.

[url=http://maps.live.com/#JnE9eXAuU21pdGhzK0NyZ]
[/url]

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:08 am

you can just go to google maps, find it on there, and then I can switch it to Satellite, and get a good idea of what are trees and what are not.  You can modify the map by saving it to your harddrive, and then use the paint option in your file image modifier, whatever it may be to mark certain locations.  Stands, draws, whatever.  With this map information, it will be beneficial for us to take a look at pinchpoints and what not to be able to help give other ideas for stands, food plots, other things like that.  It would also be beneficial if you marked where the deer are bedding.  Or where you think they are bedding, although, we might be able to tell that by the topo view.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:14 pm

So when i read about what i want to plant, if the soil is at the right PH level i dont have to use fertilizer right? I know it would probably be beneficial regardless but i just want to make sure i understand what im reading. And i know that using "lime" or some sort of "round up" type of product would be beneficial as well.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:13 am

Get a soil sample and it will tell you what lime and fertilizer requirements you need. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:01 am

yeah i was gonna get a couple soil samples and see what that tells me. It seems stupid not to lol. 

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management