Wisconsin 2012 Hunting Journal.

Rancid Sweeny

Re: Wisconsin 2012 Hunting Journal.

Postby Rancid Sweeny » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:35 pm

I made the trip up to the Farm Friday night. I arrived just before sundown. The usual fields had plenty of deer out and about.

Sat. Morning I was in the stand a half hour before sunrise. At 7:40 am things got active. I created a youtube video of the morning hunt and the 4 bucks I saw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqebmR34A00
Formerly Retch Sweeny

bouhntr

Postby bouhntr » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:50 pm

went out this morning, about 7 or so had a 6 pointer come by, later on around 9 had a basket 8 come down the hill right by my stand, went into some thick stuff and i thought he bedded down. I waited till noon and decided to climb down, I thought for sure he was right by my stand and would blow him out of there, but when I got over there he was nowhere to be found, I don't know how he got by me without me seeing him again. I couldn't beleive it. I wouln't have shot him but I thought I could get him on my epic camera. hopefully I'll see more tommorow. good luck everyone and be safe:)

Ghillie

Postby Ghillie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:59 am

Hunted Saturday evening. Had a doe and fawn come by at 5 yds. just prior to dark. Decided not to shoot, despite being in unlimited EAB zone. (CWD).

BIG 8

Postby BIG 8 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:30 pm

Nice video Rancid Sweeny. Too bad you didn't get the big one tho. Hopefully next time out you will.

I went out last night trying to shoot a doe and only saw a small 6 point and a big mature doe but it was too dark to shoot. I already packed up all my stuff and started walking out when I saw the doe and of course she was coming out of the woods right where I wanted her too! Thats hunting for you. Hopefully next weekend Ill get her.
Addicted to hunting!!

Rancid Sweeny

Postby Rancid Sweeny » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:33 pm

Saturday evening’s hunt was uneventful and very warm. It was 80F with a South wind. After hunting I returned to the farm and was enjoying supper when the phone rang. It was my sister wondering if I wanted to go along with her family as they track down her 13 year old son’s archery buck he hit earlier in the evening. I of course said yes.

When we arrived at the tree stand he told the story of the buck and the shot and the direction it ran and crashing sounds he heard not very far away. The shot distance was 9 yards and he was 15 feet up in a ladder stand. He said he hit it right behind the front shoulder. The blood on the arrow backs up his story.

Last year I made he and his brother a set of arrows and included a half dozen broadheads. He was using the Montecs.

The buck only traveled about 80 yards before crashing. Then it was time to punch the tag.

Little sis (8 years old) inspected the exit hole.

We told them that if they worked as a team they could drag it out. We were right.

His very first archery buck.

Formerly Retch Sweeny

Rancid Sweeny

Postby Rancid Sweeny » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:14 pm

This morning’s hunt was uneventful. It was warm (56F) at 4:45 am with a south wind. I saw only tree rats while I was swaying back and forth in the wind. I got down at 9:30 and headed back to the truck. It was a beautiful morning and I was in no hurry so I took my time walking back and snapped a few pictures of the sunny morning. The fall colors are already starting to come alive.

I will head back to the farm next weekend.
Formerly Retch Sweeny

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:58 pm

Thanks for sharing Rancid. Congrats to the young hunter. Thats awesome!!!!
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:55 pm

Nicely done Retch, and give my best to the successful young hunter (and assistants). ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

WeekendWarrior

Postby WeekendWarrior » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:30 pm

Congratulations to the little guy! Never found the buck. After inspecting the arrow some more, I found a lot of tallow in my Rage. Maybe I hit that 'dead' spot just above the lungs but below the spine. Who knows. Oh well, just gotta move on. Wait for the bigger buck ;).

Never saw a thing sunday morning other than a fat black fisher, pretty rare in our part of the state so that was kinda cool. Headed out tonight just to a close public land spot and watched a doe out at 50 yards for 15 minutes. Never got any closer, truly a shame. Thought I was gonna be arrowing her just a few minutes after i first saw her. Heading out saturday and sunday morning, next week is supposed to warm up, so this weekend might be the last good day or two for a week or so.

Good luck to everyone out there!

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:42 pm

Went out this weekend, I didn't see a deer, but my old neighbor came out hunting with me and saw 19 deer (18 does and fawns and 1 young buck) between Saturday and Sunday mornings.

He ended up shooting a small 1.5 year old 8 pointer. His first bow deer. Now he has to fill some doe tags.

Have had some issues with my trail cameras the past month, so I haven't seen anything other than some does, fawns, grey fox and some random house cats.

Headed out Thursday evening I think otherwise going to wait till Saturday morning. Have seen some sightings of big bucks after dark in alfalfa and beans, but nothing cruising past on trails in the woods.

Hope to have something positive to post later this week.
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin