Cell phones & 2 way radios

Compare notes about local and regional legal issues!
mojo

Cell phones & 2 way radios

Postby mojo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:26 am

What rules does your state have on communication devices in the field? Here in Indiana it has always been illegal to have any type of communication device on you. As far as I know it is still that way. I understand the point they have against them but I feel the safety plus for having them is far more important.

mndeerslayer

RE: Cell phones & 2 way radios

Postby mndeerslayer » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:42 am

Here in Minnesota it's not permitted this what our dnr booklet reads " using walkie talkies , cell phones , remote control , or other radio equipment to take big game or small game is unlawful "  they take all of the fun out of it .welcome to the forum
MNDEERSLAYER ///// FLAGGED FOR INTRUSION

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:58 am

You`re mistaken in that, Indiana does not prohibit the possession and use of cell phones and 2-way radios while in the field.

The IDNR has stated that they encourage the use of both, as safety devices, but the regs say nothing about how they may be used.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:31 am

How in the world does a 2-way radio or cell phone help you shoot a deer?  Hmm, you call your buddy and tell him one's walking towards his stand so he can get down and run him down??? 

To me having 2-way radios should be mandatory for safety in some places like MN where the temperature and weather can get down right nasty and dangerous.  In other areas just for the safety factor of falling out of a tree stand.  Several articles in the Deer Magazines have recommended them so why they would be outlawed is beyond me. 

mojo

Postby mojo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:36 am

ORIGINAL: hunter480

You`re mistaken in that, Indiana does not prohibit the possession and use of cell phones and 2-way radios while in the field.

The IDNR has stated that they encourage the use of both, as safety devices, but the regs say nothing about how they may be used.

Thanks! It didnt used to be accepted and wasnt sure if that was changed. I didnt see anything about it in the book this year.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:47 am

In SD it is stated that they are illegal for the use of taking game.

Says nothing about giving one to my 85 year old grandpa so he can call me to come get him when he gets to cold.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:38 am

ORIGINAL: mojo

ORIGINAL: hunter480

Thanks! It didnt used to be accepted and wasnt sure if that was changed. I didnt see anything about it in the book this year.

You`re right that it`s a glaring omission that it`s not mentioned in the regs either way. I actually put a call in to the DNR several seasons back to make certain it was okay, and my buddy and I weren`t going to get busted by the CO should he check us out.

Likely, the reason for not mentioning it at all is the ethical questions it may bring up for some. Some would see it as unethical to be able to give a heads up to someone near-by, that deer are approaching, that they otherwise may not see.

Still, you`d think they would stress the importance of them for safety reasons.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:55 pm

In Ohio you can have cell phones and radios, but they are not allowed to aid in deer hunting. I think aid is a broad term.  Does it mean I can't call someone to help me drag a deer out, or call and request help in tracking deer?

Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

AfterShock95

Postby AfterShock95 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:34 pm

not sure how a cell phone can aid in helping a person shot a deer But I think they should be able to be used just for safety

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:03 pm

you can do a drive and alert the standers that deer are approaching and from where.i think thats the type of thing they are trying to prevent .
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Next

Return to Regulatory issues