How Many Here Butcher Their Own Deer?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Smoothbore

RE: How Many Here Butcher Their Own Deer?

Postby Smoothbore » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:22 am

Here's a tip if you have a electric reciprocating saw use it. After I take off the front shoulders and remove tenderloins and loins cut the spine just below the rear quarters then cut down the pelvis then move to a table to debone the roasts.

Also I've learned leave and freaze the roasts whole if you want steaks pull out a roast and cut your steaks the meat will keep a lot longer this way.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:17 am

ORIGINAL: OHhunter

ORIGINAL: dmcianfa

Can someone point me to a document or how to properly butcher a whitetail deer?  I've always gutted my own, but I've been butchering my own for only few years now, but I want to make sure I'm making all the right cuts for the right stuff.  I could also still stand to learn a thing or two and especially some tips and tricks to the art of butchering a deer as well as saving time.  Thanks, I would appreciate a link or actual pdf if possible. 

Happy Hunting[:D]

Check out this link, I have it saved in my favorites and use for reference from time to time.

http://www.eckrich.org/
great link thanks.its always nice to see a step by step site
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Archery_NUT

Postby Archery_NUT » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:46 pm

i don't butcher my own deer but my uncle does it for me and it really is a big money saver seeing how everything else in hunting costs a pretty penny.....haha
bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

paulie

Postby paulie » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:16 pm

Although I dont particularly enjoy the chore(very time consuming), I do butcher my own deer. For one, I'm not spending 50 to 75 bucks per deer, second,I can cut it any way I choose. I debone the meat(no bandsaw here), and trim every bit of fat ([:'(]). Aside from saving money, and getting the cuts "I" want, I know the meat is handled properly, and I know I'm getting all of it(not sayin butchers are thiefs, but some do have"sticky fingers").  Besides, there is a sense of satisfaction in doing it yourself.

flatheadnut

Postby flatheadnut » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:14 am

Woods Walker
I just killed my first deer.  When I catch my breath, I plan to post the story and a photo, but for now in relation to the butcher process, please help with a few questions, and thanks in advance for the help and encouragement.

I have been told that all fat and service skin must be removed, but there is a very thin slimy skin that seems to be covering everything.  Does it have to go too?  If so, what do you do with the neck and most of the front legs?

I ground everything accept one meal of steaks, and was shocked that I only got 30 pounds of meat.  Is that about right?

thanks again

Hunt safe, hunt often, hunt ethically, and don't forget to say Thank You!

fortheloveofhunting

Postby fortheloveofhunting » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:22 pm

I have since my dad taught me. Although last year I thought about taking the buck to a processor.

I can't find a sausage mix like i remember. The kind my dad brought home when i was a kid.

Little mustard...
"Why not? It's your truck."
buckonatruck.com

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:45 pm

ORIGINAL: flatheadnut

Woods Walker
I just killed my first deer.  When I catch my breath, I plan to post the story and a photo, but for now in relation to the butcher process, please help with a few questions, and thanks in advance for the help and encouragement.

I have been told that all fat and service skin must be removed, but there is a very thin slimy skin that seems to be covering everything.  Does it have to go too?  If so, what do you do with the neck and most of the front legs?

I ground everything accept one meal of steaks, and was shocked that I only got 30 pounds of meat.  Is that about right?

thanks again

that slimy stuff should go.you dont have to remove all the fat and silver skin but it does keep the meat keep from going rancid if ya do .it takes awhile for it to do that so if ya eat it fast it dont make a difference.its  a personal taste thing
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:51 pm

ORIGINAL: Smoothbore

Here's a tip if you have a electric reciprocating saw use it. After I take off the front shoulders and remove tenderloins and loins cut the spine just below the rear quarters then cut down the pelvis then move to a table to debone the roasts.

Also I've learned leave and freaze the roasts whole if you want steaks pull out a roast and cut your steaks the meat will keep a lot longer this way.

I do the same with the Sawzall...
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

wack

Postby wack » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:46 am

Replace your hatchet, or what ever you split the pelvic bone with, with a fillet knife or long skinny knife. Even if you break the pelvic bone, you still have to make the cuts to get everything out. If you don't make all the cuts, you may break the bladder. Now you add sharp bones in the area, a blade hacking away in that area and you've exposed a bunch of meat. Exposed to being peed on,(broken bladder)dragged through dirt, flies and other creepy crawlers, and air in general. Yuk Leave the hide on the back legs, don't split the meat or bone, reach in, make the cuts and pull. Shoulder high gutting gloves with rubber gloves underneath works for me. It might be more unpleasant reaching in but the hide is like the best zip lock baggie ever. Leave it on, you get much cleaner meat. Dark crusty dirty meat isn't good and all that exposed meat can get crusty over night. You can see and feel if you got everything out. I've done it both ways many times and I'm convinced I can get the cleanest, safest meat by not uncovering the rear quarters and splitting the pelvic bone. 1 vote, non splitter. lol 

hansonca

Postby hansonca » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:11 pm

My family does one deer ourselves and the other goes to the butcher to be made into sausage.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions