Need some advice...

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
ohiohunter

Need some advice...

Postby ohiohunter » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:29 am

Last night i was walking around my grandparent's farm pond when a massive 13 pointer jumped up with a doe.  The doe ran one way and the buck the other. Within 45 seconds of them jumping up, the buck had made a complete circle and came within 10 yards of where he was laying smelling for the doe.  My problem is how should i go about hunting this guy? I have school everyday till 1:30 so that takes away weekday mornings. Also i dont want to get too close to the bedding area and spook him for good. Any thoughts are welcomed and if you what any more info im here to respond. Thanks.

Gafrage

RE: Need some advice...

Postby Gafrage » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:48 am

There's no guarantee that buck will be with that doe again.  She might not even been near, or in estrus, and if she is you probably only have 36 more hours (at best) to hunt where she goes, and he might be off of the property and miles away within a week.  I think your best bet is to find travel patterns of that doe, or other does on the property (which equates to food sources for the does).  Bucks usually have trails that cut off these paths, and they check them rather regularly until they find one that is in estrus or very close.  Then they stick with that one. 

I've jumped bucks that acted more like friends of the doe than friends with benefits.  I can't really explain it any better than that, but it's been times in early October, where they aren't close to being in estrus.  They just happen to be bedded down in the same area.

My best advice, is to find those trails that intercept other trails that does use, and set up a stand about 15 to 20 yards off of both trails (remember to play the wind).  Do a little grunting, or rattling, perhaps put a little doe in heat scent out there are well, to get them to stop in a shooting lane you prefer.  What state are you hunting in?  That might change my mind on what I just said.  I'm assuming that you're north of the Mason Dixon Line.

edit:  Now that I see your name is ohiohunter, I guess that's where you're from.  Although, I can't guarantee your relatives land is in Ohio.  At any rate, good luck, and let us know how you do.

Good luck!

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:31 am

I've had similar experiences-- usually these guys are there and gone in a matter of a few days. 

Every year, I try to make my does as comfortable as possible the last few weeks before the start of rifle season.  They're my bait for when the big guys start cruising. 

I have one really big resident buck-- he's been around for at least two years, although he's much older than that.  We last spotted him Oct 18. When he gets rutted up, I have no idea where he'll be.  He may go off to another county. Meanwhile other bucks will come in from elsewhere and chase my does.  Most-- not all, but most of the big bruisers I see I only see once.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

ohiohunter

Postby ohiohunter » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:11 am

Thanks so far. Yeah i live in northwest ohio.  I got to hunt last night and only saw 3 smaller bucks.  Im hanging a stand this weekend on a trail coming from the bedding area and plan to stay out of their until the gun opener and only hunt the fringes of the bedding area right now.  Thanks for the help so far and ill keep you posted.

Return to General Discussions