Quick question

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
tulsa_bob

Quick question

Postby tulsa_bob » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:59 pm

I will be hunting for the first time this fall and i have a delimma, i dont know which firearm to use. my choices are a mossberg 500 with the 18.5" barrel and rifled slugs and my "new" mosin nagant. which would be best? i dont expect to be shooting past 100 yards. thanks in advance. :D

Deebz

Re: Quick question

Postby Deebz » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:13 pm

Your Mossberg with an 18.5" barrel with a smooth bore and rifled slugs is gonna get you about 50 yards consistently...

I shoot a the same shotgun with a rifled barrel and saboted slugs, and I believe the barrel is closer to 26 inches. I'm good out to about 100 yds, maybe a little more.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:28 pm

I too, use the Mossberg 500 with a sabot barrel. I use the smooth bore barrel for shot shells and small game. ;) And welcome to the forum.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

tulsa_bob

Postby tulsa_bob » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks for the welcome, so I take it you would not use the mosin? I don't have a dedicated slug barrel. Or the money to purchase one this year.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:30 pm

tulsa_bob wrote:Thanks for the welcome, so I take it you would not use the mosin? I don't have a dedicated slug barrel. Or the money to purchase one this year.

The Mosin-Nagant was a staple of the Russian army and was even used as a sniper's weapon. there were several variations, over the years. It was a deadly man killer, it will surely take down a deer. Do you know which variant you have? an I would think it likely it would be a 30cal? I would have a gunsmith check it over and make sure it is safe to fire before use, and of course, make sure of the legal restrictions for where you hunt.

Ohio (here) is a shotgun state, and sabot slugs are the most accurate ammo I can use. But a smooth bore and rifled slugs are what I grew up with. I would say your choice is decided by which state you will be hunting in. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:28 am

The Mossberg 500 will give you 50 yards, minimum. You'll have to try different slugs to find the one that works best, but start cheap and work up. You may end up getting 80 yards out of it. It all depends.

The Mosin Nagent can be a great deer rifle. The cartridge is about the same as a 308 WIN.
1) You need to find soft point ammo. That steel case FMJ stuff is probably not legal for deer, and will not provided the expansion you need to bring a deer down.
2) The rifle is known as a shoulder-buster. They built the stock to be worn with many layers of winter clothing. Usually that means it does not fit the average hunter well. Get a slip-on rubber butt pad and the problem will go away.
3) The bullets for Mosin loads tend to be on the big side, 180 grains or thereabouts. If you can find 150 grain. it usually works better on deer. A place near me sells the stuff, but they were fresh out:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... groupid=40
4) Accuracy is going to be a rifle-to-rifle thing. I have a M44 that shoots minute-of-bushel basket and an M91 that works fine inside 100 yards. The M44 has been a huge disappointment, but I know other folks that have them that are very accurate.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

tulsa_bob

Postby tulsa_bob » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:42 am

I know basspro has hunting Ammo and do does this other local gun shop, $20/box. I really need to get them both to the range and see how they do. Either wary I can't wait to start a hunting tradition for my family. :D

badtoys

Postby badtoys » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:40 am

buy ammo online much cheaper sportsman guide ,i shoot a winchester sx3 12ga rifled barrel nikon bdc scope i shot a 9 point at exactly 238yrds it dropped where it stood
WARNING: The lead contained in this bullet has been known to cause severe injury and even death. when travelling at over 2100 feet per second.Surgeon General's Warning: Getting smoked by one of these bullets may behazardous to your health.

Return to Guns and Ammo