What kind of broadheads should i use???

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Archery_NUT

What kind of broadheads should i use???

Postby Archery_NUT » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:07 pm

just would like to know what everyone thinks

bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

DeerCamp

RE: What kind of broadheads should i use???

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:22 pm

Ive shot them all.. I really feel the best deal is the G5's. But that's just me
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:35 pm

I like the G5's so far, i havent shot a deer with one yet per say lol, but i missed and it hit a branch and their was barely any damage to the expandables or the main broad head, and it did fully deploy.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:51 pm

I use Thunderheads (I actually had to open up my bowcase and look).  I haven't lost a deer with them, of course I've made some pretty good shots.  If you put the arrow where it belongs, I think they will all work.  My entrance hole on the doe I shot Monday night was pretty decent, the exit hole was nothing to right home about, but the deer only went 45 yards, and actually walked closer to my car, for an easy drag after gutting.  Perhaps the Thunderheads persuade deer to walk in the right direction before they die?  Hard to tell, I couldn't ask it after it was dead.  If you're worried about making bad shots, the holes on the Rages are unreal.  If you're comfortable with your shooting, go with the best priced one.

Edit:  Keep in mind, I'm a firm believer that someone could kill a deer with a blow dart.  Granted they practiced with it enough.  I'm sure I made some people mad with the "Best slug gun" reply I had.  People often think that the gear has everything to do with, but in reality, it's how much you practice with the stuff, and how familiar you are with it.  I might "change" my mind, if I was endorsed by a bunch of products, but that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

It's like I tell all of the people who I go fishing with.  The reel isn't the most important thing about your setup.  Line is number one, then rod, then reel.  I could pull in fish with my hand, if I had the right line, and the right rod to withstand the force that salmon, muskies or whatever might be hanging on my horrible lure choices, makes.

I'd put my money on people being able to kill deer with field tips.  As long as they put it in the wheelhouse.  I'm not willing to take that risk though, not even sure if it's legal.

*Disclaimer:  I am not bashing people's choices on broadheads or their ideas.  I just think that once they find something that works for them, whether it be because they make their first recovery with that type of equipment or whatever, they tend to be true to that piece of equipment.  Similar to me and my smoothbore Rem. 870.  It works for me, so I stick to it.  People are influenced by multiple things, whether it be price, friends or your local pro shop when you first go for advice.  Usually what people start with, they end up using for a while.*

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:05 am

i voted other.In NY you have to make sure the broadhead isnt barbed or that the rear of the blade  can pull out easily.lots of broadheads dont pass hear .alot of mechanical's especially.i use the old magnus 2 blade and never had a problem and the price is 27$ for 6
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:08 am

Muzzy's. No question. No doubt. Ever.

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:26 am

if you want a fixed blade shoot a muzzy
if you want a mechanical shoot a rage
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

RatherBeHuntin24/7

Postby RatherBeHuntin24/7 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:37 am

there all good. im really starting to get hooked on the rage 2 blade because of the massive holes, great blood trails and such. i dont completely trust them tho and i always have a muzzy locked and loaded for still hunting considering the rages will open up if you hit some brush.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:31 pm

Shot a 3pt tonight... I used the Rage, I told myself I was going to use them that I was going to go back to the G5's however it was on my arrow so I went with it instead. Left almost a 4" exit hole. Deer only ran 15 yards.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:07 pm

Archery_nut, I voted for the Rage b/c that is what I shoot.

But without knowing anything about your set-up, I cannot answer the question of "what kind you should use".

For example, if you shoot a traditional bow, I would not use a mechanical. Not even one as good as the rage. On the other hand, if you shoot a fast bow I would shy away from broadheads with a large profile.

The Rage-2 is a good fit for me, but it's not one size fits all.

Next

Return to General Discussions