Texas Mount

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
DeerCamp

Texas Mount

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:57 pm

Hey, I have never done a Texas mount, either has any of my friends. I decied that I am going to get one done with this 3pt I shot. Any advice? Any think I should know a head of time?
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

JPH

RE: Texas Mount

Postby JPH » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:18 pm

What is a Texas mount?

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:23 pm

I think a Texas mount is a bleached skull and the antlers?

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:25 pm

Okay, that is what I call a European mount.

BTW, congarts DeerCamp!

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:36 pm

My brother had a mule deer done, he just took the head in and they did it for around 180 I think. If your doing it yourself Ive heard of people boiling it and or putting it in an ant hill. Ive heard you gotta have a certain chemical to get it as white as the taxidermists do. Congrats!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:37 pm

that is so easy to do on your own your foolish to pay someone else to do it.look up European mounts on the net
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:46 pm

Maybe they are called European mounts. I have heard them called both names around here. Thank you JPH.

Keep your eye's open everyone... Sooner or later he's gonna come in. :)
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:56 pm

I think the Technical name is European Mount.  I was somewhat confused because I never heard Texas mount.  I'm not sure if that is what he was talking about or not.  I just assumed...because Texans have those longhorn mounts on the front of their El Camino's.  So I figured people could easily get the name confused.  I could be completely wrong.  I'm usually not though.

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:53 am

ORIGINAL: JOEL

that is so easy to do on your own your foolish to pay someone else to do it.look up European mounts on the net

Well than call me foolish.

For one, I live in town. My wife has accepted that I turn the kid's maple tree into a deer processing center. I don't think she'd accept my turning the kitchen into a Taxidermy studio. And for two, I will never get the head back if I screw it up. I see good Taxidermy as art, and I am no artist. Good work is worth the price for me.

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:01 am

I have always heard European mount myself.

burry in the ground up to the antler bases (It will speed the process tremendously if you remove the hide from the head)...be sure to put a 5 gallon bucket or something similar over the top with a weight for a few reasons....1.  animals will dig-up and run off with if given the chance.
2.  the sun will bleach and dry / crack the anlters if left exposed.

After a few monthes, depending on weather, bugs, etc. the head will be cleaned by nature but will remain unattractive.  Now you use either a commercial agent or a homemade concoction to turn the skull white.  Careful, too much bleach = flaky skull.  Also, be careful when bleaching around the anlter bases.  We have found submerging up to a level where the solution is below the bases, then using paper towels to wrap around the critical area.  They tend to soak up the solution and keep it from ruining the bases.

The solution i use is a mixture of bleach and water which works ok for me.  I have heard people making almost a paste with borax.  Some use peroxide.  There are also many commerially made products,  but since we are saving money by doing it ourselves, does anyone have a really good proven 'whitening' solution to offer?

Also, if you are looking to have it done professionally, while i am sure it can vary, I have found prices in my area to be pretty close to $75-80.

Next

Return to General Discussions