Needed! Scouting Camera Advice - I'm ready to buy

GTOHunter

RE: Needed! Scouting Camera Advice - I'm ready to buy

Postby GTOHunter » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:36 pm

I have an older Moultrie Camera that uses the 35mm film and flash and uses several of the AA batteries and I think 1 or 2 of the small square batteries in it also,the flash scared some deer and the cost of batteries just about broke the Bank!That camera took some very very good and beautiful pictures but it can't use rechargeable batteries and it was expensive to run with lots of useless squirrel and racoon pictures.

I ended up buying a Moultrie 4.0 digital camera that uses the larger square 6-volt battery,it takes fairly good pictures,has several settings for 1-2 or 3 pictures or even video setting that I haven't tried out yet,but it has a very slow trigger speed and keeps showing "Locked SD Card" on several of the SD cards I had to buy to get them to work properly,it can and uses the external solar charger which keeps battery life up a lot longer.

I have read where several Hunters have bought the Moultrie I-40 trail camera and have really like the faster trigger speed and the over-all performance of them compared to any of the other new and old Moultrie's.

I ordered a *New Cuddeback IR camera for $229.00 + tax from BassPro Shop and it is still on back-order and I'm waiting for it to arrive...when it does I will post how I feel about how it performs! 

The Smart Scouter camera's charge over $500.00 for their camera's,you have to pay a monthly fee plus cost for every picture taken and you'll have to have a cell phone connection/agreement cost too.

The other wireless Game Camera (Buck Spy I believe?),is over a $1000.00 plus other cost of an external battery,longer antenna for better reception etc....!

We put a man on the moon but yet it seems that they can't make a decent working trail camera for a resonable price for us to use?Almost all the trail camera's on the market have some good features about them and flaws can be found in them all. [&:] [8|] 

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:53 pm

[font=tahoma][color=#000000]Best brand for the $$$ - I have two Moultrie M40 cameras.  They were about $150 ea.  Got them on eBay.  Work great and didn't break the bank.  There are a lot of great cameras out there, but I couldn't justify spending $500 on one camera to take photos of deer...[/font][/color]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma][color=#000000]Flash or no flash? - In my opinion, the only reasons to buy no-flash is longer battery life (since they use LED lights) and increased security (would be thiefs can't see the flash in the woods)  So save your money and buy a flash camera.[/font][/color]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma][color=#000000]Battery Life - [/color]The batteries in my cameras last months before I need to replace them.  6 size D batteries.  A lot of factors affect battery life.  If it is very cold, if you are taking a lot of photos (especially night photos), or taking video, the batteries will drain faster. [/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma][color=#000000]Tips and Tricks - We stand on our ATV and mount our cameras high in the tree and aim them down.  This way it is harder to steal.  [/font][/color]
[font=tahoma][color=#0000ff]Try to place the camera facing north.  If not the rising and setting sun will wash out any pictures and the sun could trigger the camera.[/font][/color]
[font=tahoma][color=#0000ff]Aim the camera up or down a trail not across.  Otherwise by the time the camera triggers, you will only get a photo of deer butt.[/font][/color]
[color=#0000ff][font=tahoma][color=#000000][/font][/color][/color] 
[font=tahoma][color=#0000ff][color=#000000]Remote Cameras - [/color]wish I could afford one...[/font][/color]
[font=tahoma]http://www.smartscouter.com/[/font]
[font=tahoma][color=#800080]http://www.pixcontroller.com/Cellular-Scout/CellularEye-main.htm[/font]
[font=tahoma]http://www.activehunting.com/products.asp[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Ease of use - Get the biggest SD card your camera will hold and get 2 for each camera.  The big size lets you check it less often. (It won't fill up as fast)  Using 2 cards lets you swap them out and save you time in the woods.[/font][/color]

[font=tahoma][color=#0000ff]I found this web site extremely helpful - [/font][font=tahoma]http://www.chasingame.com/[/font][/color]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Good Luck!!![/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:48 am

ORIGINAL: Patriot

Great, great input everyone!  Thanks.  Not too many comments about Cuddeback.  I figured there would be more with all the ads they have in D&DH.  Is it due to cost?

Absolutely, for me anyway.  I worry about my  $150 camera being stolen. I'd be nervous reck with an expensive cuddeback hanging out there.  If I owned my own property, I'd probably try something a little more expensive.  Like the Buckeye cam, cuddeback, etc.

http://www.buckeyecam.com/main/index.php
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:44 am

IMO buying multiple inexpensive cameras are probably better than getting that one expensive nice one for the following reasons:

1.Theft. You decide if being out 150 bucks or 300 bucks is worth it. (You have to account for a decent SD card and batteries in the talley). I would rather not be out anything, but...
2. You will cover more territory with multiple cameras and you should have a backup in case of failure. Even the nice ones break on occasion.
3. Pic quality is secondary to info provided that a deer was there and you can pattern even it looks like a disembodied alien deer.[:)]
     a. This is my first camera. In reading your posts thread someone said to point them north and down trail so you will not get "wash out" or "butt shots". I'm learning. The disembodied alien deer pic was from a south point postition. A 300 dollar camera will take bad photos if used improperly and a 150 dollar camera will take good pictures if used properly and vice versa.
 4. The buck pic I posted was flash and there was actually two of them that stayed in the camera area and milled around for a good 10 minutes. Wildview flashing and snapping multiple pics the whole time. Didn't seem to spook them.

From a beginners point of view that is my opinion. I'm sure I will add to my own list through experience, but I am just trying to do it without breaking the piggy bank.

Good Luck!
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:34 am

What a better group of folks to get advice from!

Cuddeback Excite

1.  What is the best brand for the money (include cost if known)? 

I have a cuddeback, I got it from my girlfriedn for an x-mas gift. (I know an amazing gf she is to put up with my hunting talk 24/7 and then buy a gift like that for me lol.) Anyway you can find them on ebay for around 180-200. You might be able to find them cheaper due to the new model cuddeback just put out.

2.  Flash or no flash?

I like that flash on mine, I havent had the no flash yet, but a friend has it on his cuddeback. Its cool as everything comes on in night vision. I guess this one really is up to you. Every buck I have seen at night on there with the flash, I have seen in the day. I dont believe it scares them.

3.  How often do they need to be checked (ie. how much battery life is there)?

Mine is great, I left my cuddeback out for 19 days and had over 300 pics. The battery was still plenty good.

4.  Tips and tricks (ie. memory cards, settings)
 You can use the memo card in a camera to view it in the feild. You can also put your name on the Image so now one can say there cuddeback stole it. If you look on ebay too you can find a great locking system for it as well.

5.  Are there any out there that take the picture and download it online, so I can view from home without physically checking the device?  If not, I'm sure it's in development.

You can bring it home and view it then. I know there is a trail camera out there that send's the pics right to your cell phone after its taken. But I also know those trail cams are a pretty penny.

6.  Ease of use comments

At first I had to figure it out but that's like anything. After that it was very simple to use. I think my problem was I set the camera to high and didnt catch anything the 1st time. 

All in all I hope you like what you get and you get some great pics. There is nothing like hunting a deer you have photo's of! Good Luck!
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:28 am

5. Are there any out there that take the picture and download it online, so I can view from home without physically checking the device? If not, I'm sure it's in development.

You can bring it home and view it then. I know there is a trail camera out there that send's the pics right to your cell phone after its taken. But I also know those trail cams are a pretty penny.

Check out the link I posted earlier on the buckeye cam you can have up to 30 cameras and control them from your computer, check/download pictures, change any settings without entering the woods.  All sounds good until you get to the price. To get started, 1 camera and the PC base kit your looking at $1800, then if you want more cameras you have the extra cost of each camera.

Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:35 am

[font=tahoma]Best brand for the $$$ - I have two Moultrie M40 cameras.  They were about $150 ea.  Got them on eBay.  Work great and didn't break the bank.  There are a lot of great cameras out there, but I couldn't justify spending $500 on one camera to take photos of deer...[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma][color=#000000]Flash or no flash? - In my opinion, the only reasons to buy no-flash is longer battery life (since they use LED lights) and increased security (would be thiefs can't see the flash in the woods)  So save your money and buy a flash camera.[/font][/color]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma][color=#000000]Battery Life - [/color]The batteries in my cameras last months before I need to replace them.  6 size D batteries.  A lot of factors affect battery life.  If it is very cold, if you are taking a lot of photos (especially night photos), or taking video, the batteries will drain faster. [/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma][color=#000000]Tips and Tricks - We stand on our ATV and mount our cameras high in the tree and aim them down.  This way it is harder to steal.  [/font][/color]
[font=tahoma][color=#0000ff]Try to place the camera facing north.  If not the rising and setting sun will wash out any pictures and the sun could trigger the camera.[/font][/color]
[font=tahoma][color=#0000ff]Aim the camera up or down a trail not across.  Otherwise by the time the camera triggers, you will only get a photo of deer butt.[/font][/color]
[color=#0000ff][font=tahoma][color=#000000][/font][/color][/color] 
[font=tahoma][color=#0000ff][color=#000000]Remote Cameras - [/color]wish I could afford one...[/font][/color]
[font=tahoma]http://www.smartscouter.com/[/font]
[font=tahoma][color=#800080]http://www.pixcontroller.com/Cellular-Scout/CellularEye-main.htm[/font]
[font=tahoma]http://www.activehunting.com/products.asp[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Ease of use - Get the biggest SD card your camera will hold and get 2 for each camera.  The big size lets you check it less often. (It won't fill up as fast)  Using 2 cards lets you swap them out and save you time in the woods.[/font][/color]

[font=tahoma][color=#0000ff]I found this web site extremely helpful - [/font][font=tahoma]http://www.chasingame.com/[/font][/color]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Good Luck!!![/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

passin through

Postby passin through » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:43 pm

ORIGINAL: Patriot

Hey everyone,
I'm (finally) in a position to afford a scouting camera.  Lots of questions of course.  Please weigh in!

What a better group of folks to get advice from!

1.  What is the best brand for the money (include cost if known)? [color="#0033cc"]Cuddeback without a doubt[/color]
2.  Flash or no flash? [color="#0033ff"]Flash[/color]
3.  How often do they need to be checked (ie. how much battery life is there)? [color="#0033cc"]I got 51 days with Duracells or about 1079 images[/color].  [color="#0033cc"]I check every week or so just cause I can't let them be.  ( this weekend i really could not stand it and checked a new set after only about 20 hours...70 pics including the big buck I was after who walked in 13 minutes after I left....talk about dumb luck[:)][/color]
4.  Tips and tricks (ie. memory cards, settings) [color="#0033cc"]Point it North so you never get the rising or setting sun, belt buckle high, don't use Lexar cards , Sam's Wholesale  has awesome buys on 1 gig toshibas, Take a set of climbing sticks and place 10 ft up pointing down for really cool pics, if you are placing over corn don't use the burst mode unless you want a lot of pics the same deer, put on burst mode to get multi pics on a scrape....seeing dirt in the air is cool.  IMO you need to get one of the new Cuddebacks ...they are cheaper and use the SD cards you can check in the field with a regular digital camera.[/color] [color="#0033cc"]also they are 3mp and take excellent quality pictures --- I have framed a couple of mine[/color]
5.  Are there any out there that take the picture and download it online, so I can view from home without physically checking the device?  If not, I'm sure it's in development.   Yes I've heard about a "Smart Scouter"  they are new this year and about 500 in Cabellas or Bass Pro?....there was another out last year that was about 2100....both work on Cell Phone Service.
6.  Ease of use comments   [color="#0033cc"]Get one you pre set and turn on and walk away from once in the field   preferably from an exterior switch...one of the things Cudde doesn't have per se but they do have a one step switch inside the new ones  ...you just have to open the cover to get to it...[/color]

Thanks!!

All in all this will be a long time investment so don't hesitate to buy the best you can because you will kick your self later if you don't....... I did on my first one for sure

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:38 am

Patriot what did you buy?
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:18 pm

Thanks for the advice and follow up.  I went ahead and spent a chunk of money on some scent lok / scent blocker gear recently.  I am waiting for some after Christmas sales on the cameras.  I'm pumped to get into it!!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

PreviousNext

Return to Scouting Cameras