timber strike- big dog tree stands

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
hot tamale

timber strike- big dog tree stands

Postby hot tamale » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:56 am

Just wanted to give everyone some info before buying treestands from this maker.
I bought a bigdog bearcat xl stand from Menards today as I set many stands out during the season and needed one more.
What I saw on the box impressed me for the $55 price.
When I got home to assemble the stand, I noticed that the cables were "White", there was paint missing from many sections of it and rust already starting to form on it.
I know, I know---you get what you pay for--but I have to say i was pretty disappointed with this.
It has a webbed seat and a shooting rail. the problem with the shooting rail is that it will make it hard to go over my head when I get into my stand and want to pull it down over me.
I am only 5 ft 9" and I have to crunch down to get under the bar.
I think the instructions were made by a foreigner because some of the words dont make sense.
I was also displeased with the welding spatter left on sections of the metal that was just painted over and not even scraped off.
The tree strap buckle is probable the cheapest kind of buckle that you can get. If you buy one of these stands, i would consider purchasing some type of ratchet strap as the manufacturers system is cheap and not dependable.

normally i wouldnt go on a site to bash a product, however i went to their website and they have no "contact us" section that is easily found. when I called customer service i was treated somewhat rudely. I explained my concerns and disappointment and the lady just said "well im sorry for that, is there anything else you'd like to tell me?" I was asking for some type of paint to finish painting the stand and possible some black cables, not the white ones that they sent.
That got me nowhere.
the stand may work fine, and for the price i guess what should i have expected.

Anybody else come across all of these problems with their stands from this company???? :!:

buckwild

Re: timber strike- big dog tree stands

Postby buckwild » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:01 am

I have a big dog stand. It is a hang on stand and I think I paid like $50 for it at MC sports. It has two ratchet straps to attach it to the tree. The platform is good size. There are not any issues with splatter from the welding. This stand has been in service for several years, and hung on a tree all winter last year. I took it down while turkey hunting this spring. It is in pretty good shape. There is some superficial rust but I just hung it in a saddle last weekend. One thing I dont like is the seat has a pad that doesnt attach very well so I bring it home. I have forgotten to bring it on more than one occasion.
I hate to say it, but 'Nards has some bad mojo. I have been disappointed with both product and policy with them repeatedly. Seems "save big money" translates to "sacrifice quality".
Semper Fidelis!

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:13 am

Personally, Im kinda anal about some of my equipment. I use things I can get for a cheaper price. I don't go buy a $195 hunting jacket though. When it comes to treestands and bows, I have no problem spending alot of money, when I have it, on American made products that are well known for their quality.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

wishunter

Postby wishunter » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:01 am

I have purchased 3 Big Dog doubles. My only problem was with the hardware, cheap Chinese crap. Another ten bucks for bolts, nuts and washers that I then painted flat black and I was good to go.
The other issue is the seat cover material. I don't like the cheap material but the squirrels sure do. Luckily my wife sews, so she has recovered all the seats with a good ripstop nylon camo material. That usually is good for 3 to 4 years.

Return to Tree Stands