Texas Mount

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
passin through

RE: Texas Mount

Postby passin through » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:05 am

Cabellas has a decent kit if you want to try it yourself.  It was all the craze amongst the guys here to do it yourself about 10 years ago.  One guy still does, but the rest don't and I never did out of shear laziness.  I live out in the boonies where I could do it well enough but plain and simple don't care to do it.  The only one  I ever had done was a coyote and he was 125 for the process and a hard wood pedestal.  I've heard of anything from $25 dollars to 125 here. 

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:17 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: JOEL

that is so easy to do on your own your foolish to pay someone else to do it.look up European mounts on the net

Well than call me foolish. to each his own.if ya screw it up which is hard to do ya can always just cut the skull plate off with the antlers.Now doing other kinds of taxidermy work your right about that its easy to mess up and better to pay someone

For one, I live in town. My wife has accepted that I turn the kid's maple tree into a deer processing center. I don't think she'd accept my turning the kitchen into a Taxidermy studio. And for two, I will never get the head back if I screw it up. I see good Taxidermy as art, and I am no artist. Good work is worth the price for me.
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:03 am

The European mount is relatively easy to do yourself. Did my first one last year on a spike just to see what i could do and it turned out very good. I took as much of the skin and meat off the skull as I could then boiled the skull. The remaining meat comes off fairly easy with a wire brush, scissors, and knife. Key is not boiling for too long at one time because the suture lines in the skull will come apart. (That's the jagged lines you see on the skull). I would boil for a while, 20-30 min, then take the skull out and scrub with a wire brush,and cut off tissue and meat. Repeating this as much as necessary until skull was cleaned. when I had almost all the meat off, I added bleach to the boiling water to help whiten (Keep antlers above water). The hardest part to me was getting the brain out because you only have a small hole at the base of the skull for brain removal. This was accomplished with a screwdriver and breaking it into small bits until it was all out (I'm open to better way of doing it). Brain gets pretty mushy after boiling. When all this was done the skull still looked a little discolored so I went to Lowe's, bought a high gloss white paint and put a couple of coats on the skull. (Tape the anlers good so paint does not get on them). took a walnut stain with a clear finish to the antlers and voila!! Had a nice European mount. Bought the wood pedestal at Bass Pro.

I used a fish cooking burner with a deep cast iron pot for boiling. Probably not the way the pros do it but it worked for me, looks nice, and the only cost I incurred was a can of paint. It is a time consuming and tedious process, but it's something you can be proud of when complete. Good luck!!!

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:38 am

you better have a strong nose if you decide to boil inside....made that mistake exactly ONE time.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:44 am

They run about $100 here.  At that price I'd pay someone to do it.  It would turn out better, and my wife would kill me if I started boiling down a skull around the house.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:56 am

i boiled it outside in a big pot on my bbq grill. i scraped all the flesh off with my knife and pliers i used a coat hanger to pull /push the brains out after all the soaking and cleaning i used peroxide solution and wrapped  the skull up in rags for a day after that i let it dry and then used a light sandpaper to remove any dull spots then sprayed it with krylo clearcoat.I had the pot,peroxide and charcol.all i bought was the krylon for 4$.now when i look at it i get the satisfaction of the hunt and the handmade trophy
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:17 am

Imagenot the best photo but just to show my mount

Previous

Return to General Discussions