anybody hunting Minnesota

S.W.A.T. 33

RE: anybody hunting Minnesota

Postby S.W.A.T. 33 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:16 pm

Well i live in MN. don't bow hunt to much in MN. bow hunt WIS. every weekend just north west of New Richmond been seeing alot of deer. Had a little 6 pointer walk under my stand saturday, what a rush.I love bow hunting. But i will be shotgun hunting the metro zone live in Shakopee and i hunt public land good luck to every one during the rut put um down.
SPECILIZED.WHITETAIL.ASSAULT.TEAM.

dewey

Postby dewey » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:26 am

Thanks mndeerslayer for the idea of the drip lure, I actually got 2 of the code blue drippers that you can set to go off at dawn-dusk or every 20 minutes.  My question is that these things have a pretty decent sized reservoir and since the different scents cost a little bit.  Do you water them down at all or do you just pay the price to keep them full and reap the benefits when the big deer finally comes out. 

Thanks for the help guys.

mndeerslayer

Postby mndeerslayer » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:50 am

Dewey -this year i forgot to put my dripper out in the woods i just remembered when i saw the question you asked . but i would not add water it would make your scent weak then the deer would prob. vaccate your area . i would set your drippers for dawn- dusk instead of every 20 min you could turn it to 20 min when you are out hunting for a little extra helper - the dripper i have drips only when the sun heats the bottle up stops after the sun goes down. i think mine is a wildlife dripper -hope you have a great hunt - 9 days and counting
MNDEERSLAYER ///// FLAGGED FOR INTRUSION

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:15 pm

Obviously the big bucks are that way (big) for a reason.  The last couple years I've really focused on hunting certain stands only when the wind is right....and sometimes not all season if the wind doesn't cooperate.

Sometimes you can catch the big boys out during daylight during the first day or two of the season.  That worked for me this year.  Shot a nice 2.5 year old at 3:45pm on opening day of archery season (sunset was 7:30pm that night).

Also, I try not to overuse certain stands and also save some stands for hunting the rut.  Many times, the first time you hunt a stand is your best chance.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

wklman

Postby wklman » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:13 pm

Hello everybody,

my name is wade and i'm new here. I live in AZ but hunt in MN every fall with my cousins in ottertail county. I'm really excited to get up there this year because i'm buying 80 acres in todd county and will be able to hunt it on the rifle opener. i've been hunting for more then 30 years and have taken around 16 deer with most of them being our little coues deer we have down in southern AZ. feel free to ask me anything and i hope to be posting more as i get to know the forum better.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:19 pm

Like I posted in the WI forums.  I can't stress this enough.  If you're serious about hunting "big bucks" you need to hunt travel routes, funnels or pinch points.  If my shotgun took pictures, not only would I know where I was shooting, but there'd be some proof behind it.  I've hunted those types of pieces on the property I've hunted ALL of the years I've hunted.  Big bucks follow those routes.  You have to be patient.  There is a guy near where I hunt in WI, who always ends up with 140's or better, every year, and most times he doesn't get them until Sunday.  So patience is a key.  You can't expect those bucks to be coming by opening day every year.  You have to be patient.  They will come by.  Pack your lunch, if you have to go in, wait until people go in for lunch, or come back out.  It'll make a big difference, and your buck pole will be the proof

Edit:  If you have pressure around you, the wind doesn't matter, in addition to that scents don't matter.  I know a lot of you are talking about bow hunting, but the Gun Season can be just as, if not more, rewarding.  Especially since the actually rut might occur during your gun season this year.  GL to all, post your pics and let me know how you do.

deer/stalker

Postby deer/stalker » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:01 am

as most of us i am new here to i live in MN metro area hunt it to. Just so close to home for now thinking home is going to move N about 4 hours or more need job first I am a mechanic for 23 years now Auto, Deisel/18 wheeler, construcsion equipment, hyd. crains just about every at point in time ( reminds me of the movie the unforgiven )any 1 know of a job up there? Back to hunting been all over the state MN the canada boarder for opener bow season 4 days did see squat taged my 8 pointer here 20 min. from home 2nt week end got a doe 2nt day rifle season all most felt guilty taking that shot 20Y with a .06 and a scope not mutch traking  i am still down at the river got 2 more week ends

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:45 am

Nice pics deer / stalker.

I'm hoping to get out over Christmas.  I've never killed a deer in December.  Maybe this will be the year.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

fr0sty

Postby fr0sty » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:08 pm

I hunt in Ottertail county.  I shot this 8 point on opening day at about 44 yards.  I used my Beneli Supernova 12 gauge (smooth barrel).  I use federal trubal slugs.  I have found them to be very accurate.

mndeerslayer

Postby mndeerslayer » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:53 am

Hello frOsty nice job getting your 8 pointer looks very nice congrats !!!
MNDEERSLAYER ///// FLAGGED FOR INTRUSION

PreviousNext

Return to Minnesota