Mock Scrapes

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
gutdeer11

Mock Scrapes

Postby gutdeer11 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:56 pm

Hey there I am interested in starting to hunt over scrapes since the land I hunt on was logged 25 years ago and the woods are very thick and I primarily stand hunt. We have seen bucks (harvested 2) on the land. We see deer every year but mainly does. I am interested in making some mock scrapes to see what kind of deer activity they will bring. I have a few questions. I have a Magnum Dripper and Active Scrape scent. I also have Trails End, Tinks 69, and Special Golden Estrus. I live in Vermont, and the rut doesn't usually get started until late October and goes through November. The Rifle season starts November 10th, and that is when I will start hunting. So my questions are. When should I make my mock scrapes and put my dripper out? I don't want to put it out too early and have the deer visit and stop visiting by the time November 10th rolls around, and I don't want to put it out too late so the deer don't get a chance to visit it. Also what should I put in my dripper and when?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Darren

Woods Walker

Re: Mock Scrapes

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:53 pm

I gave up on all that commercial stuff years ago as it's basically brown ammonia. EXPENSIVE brown ammonia. I started peeing in scrapes and have had more luck with that than anything else.....and it's FREE and you always have it with you!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:57 pm

You can also use your own urine. There is some debate on it, but I have whizzed on scrapes before, come back a few days later, and the scrapes became more active. The pee in a bottle at the store is not fresh urine. Its actually stale and nasty after sitting in a warehouse somewhere for who knows how long, and then sitting on a store shelf for awhile also. I never used mock scrapes ever. I cannot offer any advice on that.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:42 am

I make mock scrapes. I use only pure buck pee. I usually start making them as soon as a I see a good one that has been there in the past open up. I monitor licking branches with cameras all year long to see what deer are coming through, so usually I am pretty on top of things. Mock scrapes can be tricky. Cant just put them anywhere you want. I dont bother with any doe scents in my scrapes... the most i'll do is run a drag with some doe in heat thru it on my way to the stand, but thats about it. You have to consider things like the deer scent checking the scrape from a distance and things like that. I also only use stuff with no preservatives, 100% pure. It was hard to find until a couple years ago when I found stonycreek whitetails. Have to keep this stuff cold tho and it only lasts a couple weeks. I have never really tried making scrapes after the first week of oct. so I cannot give you advice on that. Im usually freshening up my scrapes every now and then after that, but usually if you get a good one started, you dont have to do much more work. I like to freshen it with my buck pee maybe once a week... sometimes longer. In the initial stages, I may do it twice a week. Never used a dripper either... I would stay away from the store bought stuff.. never had good experience with that and it doesnt smell right. If you get your hands on some fresh and pure estrus.. there is no smell like it.. you will know. I dont use that until late oct tho and like I said, I usually dont bother with using that at the scrapes other than walking thru them. The past 2 years, I have killed 4 bucks with this technique.

Now like the other guys said, you can pee in the scrapes yourself.. I know of a lot of people that do.. Never gave it much of a try tho.
You can also get a pre-orbital gland lure that people have talked about on here. I am thinking about trying this, because I feel that is what drives a scrape more that whats going on the ground. Deer will use a licking branch year round.

Although I have had good success with this, it did not come without a lot of trial and error. i learn every year.. thats the fun part!

good luck

gutdeer11

Postby gutdeer11 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:59 am

Thanks alot guys!

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:15 pm

I have experimented with and done research on mock scrapes on and off for about 20-years. At times, I have had great success, usually on scrapes I started during our spring turkey season. However, scrapes started a few weeks prior to your rut, may get "opened" faster. The key being location-location-location. That is a topic by itself and I won't go into it here.

I will say this. By far, my most successfull scrapes have been started with my own urine. In fact, for many years, my own, human urine is all I use. Now for the bad news.

I have never seen a mature buck visit a mock scrape in daylight. I am sure they do, I have just not seen it. For me, from a practical point, they have little value as a hunting-killing tool unless you are doe or small buck hunting. In that case, they may be of some marginal value, certainly no worse than a "natural" scrape. And, they would not be season specific. They are as likely to produce activity at 10:00 a.m. opening morning as during the peak of the rut. Obviously, I do not hunt scrapes, they are an important informational tool for me, nothing more.

That said, and I mean this literally, if you want to make a mock scrape, pick a good location with a severaL choices for licking brnaches and take a healthy whizz in raked, soft dirt.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:40 pm

I'm going to agree with what has already been posted. Many years ago I was hunting a stand of pines, and after the hunt, on my way back to the truck, I stopped to relieve myself on the outskirts of the trees. 2 Days later while returning to that stand I noticed a scrape on the ground where I had stopped to urinate. So that evening, I picked a different low hanging branch on the outskirts of the trees and I relieved myself there. Sure enough, a few days later I returned and there was a fresh scrape on the ground where I had urinated.

Right now, we're going into a full moon. IMO your best shot at catching a buck checking a scrape line in daylight hours will be late morning to mid day.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:45 pm

I agree with mature bucks not using them often in daylight, but I will say, they do scent check them from a distance during daylight which is why I never have a stand over them, but I do hunt near them. I like to use them to keep deer in the area interested. During the entirety of a season, it is very difficult to nail deer down on feeding patterns alone because they change so much. I run cameras on most of my scrapes and also on most natural scrapes that are there year after year. Its been very effective on our out of state hunts where we dont have as many opportunities to scout and sometimes we only hunt for a couple days before we move on.

Pressure is a huge thing too and is hard to deal with. Hunting mostly public ground we have to adapt a lot, but at least we have some consistency when our scrapes work.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:50 pm

I will also say, like I mentioned before.. if this licking branch stuff that everyone has been talking about works.. I would be inclined to say the urine would not play a major role at all (human or deer).. Most of my pictures and videos from the cameras, other than a couple months of the year, are deer just using the licking branch.

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:54 pm

The licking branch is part of a vast informational system used by deer and other animals. Saliva, glandular secretions and urine all play a part. The total understanding of how deer communicate is not ours yet. The serious study of deer, all deer, is a relatively new science. Just as I would not create a mock scrape without a licking branch, I would not create a mock licking branch without a scrape.

I also dabble with mock rubs. That can be interesting, too.

Next

Return to General Discussions