How many donate Venison?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
hunter480

How many donate Venison?

Postby hunter480 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:09 am

Archery season will be gearing down, as firearm seasons get rolling across the Country over the next few weekends. As the guns start going off, the deer kills will really begin to mount, and it begs the question, how many will donate venison to the local organizations who receive, and distribute it to the folks who need it.

Who goes out, specifically to kill deer for donation, and who may donate, depending on how many they kill?

fasteddie

RE: How many donate Venison?

Postby fasteddie » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:12 pm

I used to donate when I had my deer done at a processor . As far as I know that's the only acceptable way it gets done in New York . They want to make sure the deer are processed in an environment that is acceptable to inspectors .

wordbird

Postby wordbird » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:44 pm

We have a local processor that takes all you will bring him. Between me, my son and grandson, we killed 10 last year and donated about half of them.
"The trophy is in the eye of the beholder."

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:49 pm

I donate deer.  I also keep some that I shoot.  I usually donate all of the deer I harvest during my Archery Season.  As far as gun season, I usually keep 2-3, and if I get more than that, I donate the rest.

Edit:  Not only does this meat go towards families that need it, but it also goes to past hunters, who can't get out and hunt anymore, for whatever reason, but enjoy venison.  I'm all for donating venison, it's a lot of meat.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:01 pm

If I have a good year , I will drop off a complete deer to a Processor for the Donation . Hopefully he is honest enough to make sure the Donation happens .

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:19 am

was planing on donating one this year
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:48 am

We always donate at least one through Share the Harvest, often times more, depending upon how many we shoot.  We donated three last year. 

The processing place picks up some of the cost in collaboration with the state of Missouri, up to a point.  Basic rule is that if you don't want to pay all the processing costs yourself donate early before state funds run out.  This usually means before gun season gets more than a few days old.

To me its a pretty worthwhile charity, and you definately know what your donation is being used for.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

passin through

Postby passin through » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:51 pm

I do to an extent I guess.  I have always given it to people I know or people known at one remove.  Some goes to friends who need more for large families and some goes to friends who give it to seniors in their church.  In the past few years we have started a Hunters for the Hungry Program and I always mean to drop one off at the processor for them. ( you can register to win a Bad Boy Buggy that the program gives away with each donation)  I helped do some coordinating for them in the last two years and even wrote a couple feature articles in a little sportsman's publication that is done here locally. However I never seem to get one to them.  There's always someone else I know in need.  I hope my year continues to be good because there are lots of folks out there asking for dear this year.  So far I've killed 4 and given away two to friends who will not be able to hunt much for various reasons.  Another has been eaten at a camp cooking and I have one in link sausage sitting at the processor.  I plan on giving a lot of that away as Christmas presents to select customers.  I need to get one down and into hamburger for MY freezer quick before I go into Spaghetti sauce withdrawals.

deerhunter713

Postby deerhunter713 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:23 am

My next one is going to be donated.
NRA Life Member

The Second Amendment should have been the First Amendment, because without the Second Amendment, there would be no other rights.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:33 pm

Hearing on the news tonight that the food banks are stretched to their limits as the economic crisis continues to bear down on families across the Country.

Naturally, we`re going to feed our own families first, but do consider killing an extra deer to donate as you`re able to do so. Let`s help take care of our own, and show how hunters care.

Next

Return to General Discussions