Do you get spooked walking too your stand?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shaman

RE: Do you get spooked walking too your stand?

Postby shaman » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:41 pm

I hadn't been reading this thread for a while, and I just got caught up.

Speaking of bears, I've got a bunch of bear stories, but the one y'all reminded me of happened back in 1999. I had gotten a Muldars Neuroma in my foot-- very painful nerve inflamation.  I'd gone out Opening Day of Ohio Bow Season and had to crawl back on my hands and knees.  I'm scheduled for surgery over Thanksgiving, but it looks like my season is shot.

A buddy's buddy invited me to Pennsylvania for a bow hunt. He said he'd drive me back and forth to a stand and I wouldn't have to walk.  We were hunting on his family's 300 acres overlooking the Allegheny upriver of East Brady, PA. As long as I only had to go from truck to atv to stand and back, I figured it was cool.

I'm out on the first afternoon. He's given me an FRS radio to call when I want to be picked up. I have it on scan.

Quick synopsis:  Alone in a strange state, with no idea how to get out, only able to take a few steps at a time, armed with only a bow.

All of a sudden I hear: "This is Fred.  Man, I see a bear."  I have no idea who Fred is, but he's very scared.

. . .and then over the next few minutes:

"I see a bear, man.  What should I do?"

"Can anybody hear me?  There's a bear here."

"Oh, God, he's climbing my tree!"

Then there was silence.

I reported this to Jonesy, my host when he came to pick me up. He said it probably came from the other side of the river. I never heard anything else about it.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:13 am

The turkeys got me too!  I'm walking to my stand in pitch dark about 4:30 in the morning when on both sides of the trail turkeys take off from the ground and go crashing up though the brush and trees.  It sounded like they had me surrounded and were attacking me when really they were just taking off to get away from me.  Talking about jumping a mile and getting the 30-30 off my shoulder in a hurry!  Scared the crap out of me then but now I laugh about it!

We have shooting houses like tree houses where we hunt in Alabama and one of my buddy's had a coon jump on top of his and try to crawl inside with him in the pre-dawn darkness!  He was kicked back in his chair with his feet up gun in the corner and ended up kicking the coon and it dropped to the ground before it could get in the stand with him! 

Regardless who you are situations like that will scare you when it's dark out and you are in the middle of the woods.

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:29 am

Had this happen the 1st time I was out this year. The cold took it's toll on the batteries for my lights. After climbing down out of the tree with my API climber, I was packing it up to get ready to throw it up on my back. When the 1st light which is rechargable faded out. So I grabbed my miner type out of the fanny pack and finished with that. As I was walking back thru the dark across the hillside the light on my headed was starting to fade too. Between the noisey leaves and the coyotes howling on the hill across the valley I was hoping the amount of noise I was making kept critters at bay. I think I kicked out one deer in the dark. Ran off like one but ya couldn't tell for sure. Plus throw ina bear in the area. And I'm only got a bow in my hand!
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

joker1656

Postby joker1656 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:14 am

I wish I would have found this thread earlier.  I laughed out loud at some of the posts.  (Just to clarify....I laughed with the poster, not at him)I would name names, but it would take too long, since there were so many funny ones. 

Yeah, certain situations have caused me to jump, or tense up when I am in the dark woods.  But, the situation is the cause, not the dark woods.  Wouldn't matter if I was in my house in the dark, if someone or somethings screams at me when I don't expect it, I react.  (and yes, there are times I have to expect it......I am married LOL)  Am I scared? (except of my wife)....No....If I think there is someone in my house that shouldn't be, I grab a gun and head downstairs.  Is the gun to protect me?...No, it is to kill the bad guy.  :) And, I mean that in the nicest way. 

I live and hunt in Indiana, so there really aren't many animals to fear.  The biggest thing I am afraid of, when walking to my stand, is getting my eye poked out by a branch I didn't see.  LOL  The only time the coyotes gave me pause was when I was jogging down our country road.  I was in running shorts, and t-shirt.  The pause was really only to decide how I would kill them if they jumped me.  They didn't, but they crossed the road about 50 yds ahead of me.  It was dark, but I could see their eyes reflecting light from the flashing light at the country intersection, I had just passed.   

That isn't to say, that fear doesn't grip me sometimes.  We all have to overcome the urge to lock-up.  I have been in quite a few situations, that have scared me.  Most of the time, the fear sets in after the situation/altercation is over.  I can reflect on how close I came to death, or what I almost did wrong that could have led to my death. 

Now, should we be offended by Hunter480?  I don't think so.  I am part of a group of some of the most dangerous (to bad guys) men around.  We all have been scared of certain things at times.  We, also, have ribbed, made fun of, put down, cut down, yelled at, belittled, and insulted each other over those things numerous times.  That is what we do.  We would fight, and die for each other, but we also can be pretty unforgiving of weakness.  We are men.  We focus on the weakness, and it is either remedied, or the weak leave.  No offense intended toward the ladies, but that is how men roll.  It hardens us.  Don't like it, fine, don't get mad, though.  Learn from it, or get out.   

What Hunter480, or anyone else thinks, doesn't affect me emotionally.  I either agree, or disagree.  Getting all emotional about it, and yelling at him, are kinda feminine responses.  Not that the people that had the responses are feminine, just the reactions.  I actually agree with Hunter480, on most points, I guess.  I like crotchety old geezers.  Alot can be learned from them.  Woodswalker's perspective is great.  I like people that are direct.

I think most of the posts, were funny.  The anecdotes were amusing, because no one was injured in the making of the story.  Are there real dangers in the woods?  Well, yes, but....that is what we like, right?  Now, if you don't like the thrill of getting out there in the dark, that is when you should stay home.  Otherwise, keep going out there, and posting these great "killer turkey" stories.  I for one, will keep laughing with you.  They're great.

Until then, FEAR THE DEMOCRATS.  Or.... ANYONE that is mesmerized by OBAMA.  It doesn't have to be in a dark and scary woods, to scare the pants off of me.....it just has to be liberal and hiding in clear view.  Keep your guns handy.... it could get rough.         

paulie

Postby paulie » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:51 pm

Just this evening, I was headed back to the truck, when a rabbit(yes, a fluffy little bunny) exploded out of the (corn) stubble not a foot behind me! I about p**sed my pants(no really, I'd been holding it for almost two hours!). I've had pheasant do the same thing, and let me tell ya,it gets the heart pumpin!

Previous

Return to General Discussions