A few questions regarding making a ghillie suit

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
KCguy

A few questions regarding making a ghillie suit

Postby KCguy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:07 pm

Hi,

I hunt from the ground 90% of the time. Usually in a self made blind made with branches, twigs, and leaves. I decided it is time to finally have a ghillie suit.

I want to make my own since I think I might have the materials here to make a somewhat decent one. For the netting, I have a pile of black shade cloth used to shade the Ginseng while it is growing. I know it is not the fish net type of webbing, it is a tighter webbing, smaller holes. For the camouflaging, I plan on using the old style baler twine, not the synthetic new stuff. I will either paint or dye the baler twine to give it random shades of color. I also have a bunch of new old stock bicycle tubes to use for attaching branches and other objects.

Will the shade cloth work great for this suit? I understand it might be a bit warmer, yet I live in WI and could use an extra layer most days. Will the baler twine be a suitable substitute for jute? Also which method is easier and also longer lasting..... paint or dye?

Any other tips, hints, and guidance in making my first ghillie suit will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

KCguy

Re: A few questions regarding making a ghillie suit

Postby KCguy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:10 pm

Also forgot to ask if anybody has ever made a ghillie type cover for their bow? If so, how can I make one?

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:08 pm

No paint. It will make everything stiff. I just did some dyeing, and it was not hard to do. If I were doing it, I would feed the strings through and tie the centers first (that will get you two strings for each tie.) , then trim it to the shaggy shape you want, then dye it, much like they do tie-dyed clothes.

I would also suggest pictures be taken as you go, and post the results. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

KCguy

Postby KCguy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:50 pm

I never thought of the paint making it stiff. I suggested it because I seen a few DIY things mentioning painting it. So paint is out of the materials list for sure.

Tomorrow I have to work all day and then also back on the road on Wednesday for the weekend. Hopefully I can find some time between then to make one. If not then right after I get back from my weekend trip. I will be sure to start a new thread regarding the construction, with pictures.

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking