scents...

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
JPH

RE: scents...

Postby JPH » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:41 pm

ORIGINAL: bckklr

are yall not the same group of guys that just last week were saying dont buy deer scent just pee in the scrape or around your stand yourselves & save some money ? just wondering , seems like if your own pee worked so well yall wouldnt be discussing this post what gives ?

If my pee worked that well, I'd bottle and sell it! I mean why not? Paul Newman has his own salad dressing. 

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:53 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: bckklr

are yall not the same group of guys that just last week were saying dont buy deer scent just pee in the scrape or around your stand yourselves & save some money ? just wondering , seems like if your own pee worked so well yall wouldnt be discussing this post what gives ?

If my pee worked that well, I'd bottle and sell it! I mean why not? Paul Newman has his own salad dressing. 

LOL!  I have a hunch that much of the "estrous doe urine" that is sold every year is from someone who's doing exactly that!

Do the math. How many THOUSANDS of gallons of "doe in heat" urine is bottled and sold every year?  Just how many captive does are there? Factor that in with the fact that there's only a handfull of days A YEAR when a doe is in estrous.

And then just because it says "DOE" in estrous, could also mean that it's from a "doe" GOAT also, unless they specify doe deer. Maybe that doesn't matter. If it doesn't, then why wouldn't it work from a "doe" human?

And then HOW is it collected? If it comes out of the deer, hits a concrete floor in a pen, runs down a drain, and then into a holding vat, then not only is it contaminated with feces, food, and who knows what else, but by the time it actually hits a bottle, it's most likely already broke down into urea, and then it could be the urine from anything at that point.

It would seem to me, that short of using a catheter, or some other way of removing the urine directly from the bladder and putting it right into a bottle with as little exposure to the air as possible, then it will all be urea anyway before it even gets to the point of sale.

I, as well as several others here, have used our own urine in scrapes and had it work as well as anything that we've bought of the shelf.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:56 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

It would seem to me, that short of using a catheter, or some other way of removing the urine directly from the bladder and putting it right into a bottle with as little exposure to the air as possible, then it will all be urea anyway before it even gets to the point of sale.

Uhh...never mind.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:17 am

Here's an article I found on the topic:

http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/hendricks/deer_urine_industry.html

This article brings up the issue of someone becoming very sick from handling urine. It brings up the point to ALWAYS wear latex gloves when handling any of these products!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:19 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

Uhh...never mind.

LOL!  Hey now, JPH, just HOW BADLY do you want that "booner"........[:D]

peepsight

Postby peepsight » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:28 pm

I am starting to side with the guys that are no non- scents.  Anything that I do from here on out is going to be based on what is out there that deer might normally see, and smell.
      For instance, if I am hunting heavy pines area, then a pine cover scent is a natural.  Since also this includes the fact that in our area, foxes are heavily populating our hunting areas, then of course, red fox urine is also in order.
        Other than dragging a wick dipped in Dominant Buck Urine during the peak of the pre-rut, and rut, I am staying away from all other types of scent makers from Man made/ or bottled sources.
         During the rut, and pre-rut, I will be dragging a Tarsal gland cut off of a mature buck, from last season, that was frozen in my freezer.  This is enough to get the current forest champion, to check it out, and see if there were some other bruiser working his territory.  And it has been known to bring him in, when nothing else would do.  I will also be hanging a tail(tucked away from last season in the freezer) on the ground floor that I can wag from my treestand with a fishing line,  which will give me time to position myself, for a shot.  It will be far awway enough from my stand, and out of the line of sight, so that I don't tip some wary whitetail that I am not far away.  It sort of will also assure another deer that they are not alone.
          These and  a few choice other natural things will give me the edge I am looking for.  No point trying to outfox an animal that is really used to coming where I hunt on a daily basis year-round, another excuse to be on high alert, for the few months that I am on stand.
        But I have to confess, I started out being a sniff freak, and was convinced that the worse it smelled as far as urine was concerned, the better it was going to work.  Problem was that the results were not supporting the efforts, I was putting into it.  So time to read what others wrote and sound it out to myself.
         Peepsight

rtf9769

Postby rtf9769 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:17 am

I have never brought myself to being as desperate enough to lay down fake doe, or buck pee in the woods to be ablet to bag a keeper.

When I go hunting, I go to be in the natural environment and to be a part of that wonderful place. Im not about to resort to "tricking" my game into coming to me, or a false attractant. I want to be able to say< I hunted>.

To me it is 100x's more awesome to see that nice ten pointer come under my stand, from my hunting skills, naturally..Than to think..I HAD to bait him.

On a Side note, I dont have anything against a natural apple/vanilla/maple syrup type thing. So I guess im just divided on the issue somewhat.

peepsight

Postby peepsight » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:41 pm

Now let us be real...  For one, you disguise from the deer that you are actually in the woods, so you are luring him into a false sense of security, when you mask your smell, from him with the use of Scent-Lok material types, and rubber boots. Then there is the whole camouflage deal, which is not actually using fabrics that are letting the deer know that you are in the woods, unless you are not washing the UV light out of it. Hunting is all about deceptions, and alluring the animals into letting down their guard.  I don't know why guys think that just because they don't make mock scrapes, that they are somehow more ethical hunters, than those of us who do use scents to lay down a different scent marked trail, or do make mock scrapes.
    Somehow they are purists compared to those of us, who use every and any advantage they can, to get the trophy that they want.  If you can get to within spittin' distance of a booner buck, than you have deceived him into thinking that your are not there at all.  Whether you are making scents,  that steer deer to you in the woods, or whether you are making no sense, like when you wrote this last post.
   [:)][sm=rolleyes.gif]
      Thanks for sharing though!

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:40 am

I spent the better part of a decade trying all sort of scents, calls, and other gimmicks.  You should have seen me back in the day-- it'd take me forever to get to my stand with all the boot pads, the drags, the scent bombs, etc.  My favorite was to use tarsal gland on one boot pad and inter-digital on the other, and then lay out doe urine scent bombs around the stand.

That plus the use of a climbing stand, the use of a decoy, the use of calls ,  . . . it was a wonder I ever  got a chance to hunt.  My luck was not all that good either.   The thing with scents is that the same scent that worked wonderfully this time might send them fleeing in terror the next time out-- you just never knew.

Two things really changed my hunting luck:

1)  Being around a large healthy herd of deer on a reasonably-size parcel to which I could control access.
2)  Being able to install ladder stands that let me get up a tree without a lot of hassle, noise, or sweat.

There is a third, but that really came years earlier:  Getting on a good scent reduction regimen using sodium bicarbonate. 

I tried all the other gimmicks after I got my own land, but they really never improved my success. 

The one gimmick that I know that works is minimalism:
1)  Reduce your scent signature: I just use lots of sodium bicarbonate, and I'm invisible to the deer
2)  Use no scents, use no calls, use no decoy, use as little as possible that comes from a store.
3)  Find a good spot and put up a nice ladder stand and wait without moving around a lot.

-- it ain't all that sexy, but after 26 years, that's the gimmick that works for me.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

paulie

Postby paulie » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:14 am

ORIGINAL: howhill1

i will from timne to time use a drop (and i mean drop) of doe estrous in a scrape but i still pee in it myself. im not so sure that one commercial doe pee is any better or different than another. on an intersting side note . i just saw and ad for standing estrous (which costs 40$) in the nahc mag highlighting a 230" non typ shot by a gent named "spook" spanner. i saw this hunt on t.v.( im sure its the same deer) but as i remember it he was on his way to the stand and seen the buck in a field with some does and got positioned for a shot on the fly. i dont rember any scent being deployed. again , i may be wrong. any body else see this show or ad?
  No your right Howhill, I've seen that footage three times. He was actually headed out to hang a set when he spotted that buck. And no, there were no "scents" in play, that buck was goin to check out the live does that were in the field. Spook simply cut him off at the pass. And I must say, that was a monster!!

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices