Growing more Points?

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
scooter72

Growing more Points?

Postby scooter72 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:55 pm

Another opener in the books in Texas!  As we sat down with cocktails in hand to solve the worlds problems, the conversation turned to herd management.  In a heated debate about what to shoot and when,  the topic turned to points a deer would have as they mature.  We seem to have quite a few 2.5 and 3.5 year old 8 pts,about 120 to 125.  Very nice deer that have good potential but we are committed to see what they will be when they are a couple years older.  We have taken a few bucks a year, at least 4.5 years old,mostly 10 pts,130 to 140. How many points can we expect to add from year to year? What should a 2.5year old 125 be at 4.5 or 5.5?  How many of these coveted deer would likely stay on our land?  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hunting in North Central Texas 1200 acres leased

JPH

RE: Growing more Points?

Postby JPH » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:53 pm

I am in the process of reading the book "Whitetail Advantage". The authors, Samuel and Zaiglin (both with a lot of Texas experience) state that gross inches of antler is a far better indicator of age than antler points.

According to the book, a deer will reach 90% of his antler potential by 4.5 years of age. So as an answer to your question, your 140" 4.5 year old will manage to eek out another 14" of antler in the next few years.

It also has a chapters on home ranges and movement.

I highly recommend it to a person seeking answers to your questions.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:04 am

Antler points and years don't necessarily match up.  So you really can't say when a buck is 2.5 years old, he will have more points when he is older.  Some will, some won't.  He will most likely grow more inches of antler, but those inches will not necessarily translate to additional points.

Too many things come in to play to generalize antler growth - food, age, genetics.  If you have a drought in Texas over the next couple of years, those 2.5 year olds might put on very few additional inches.  If you have a great year, food wise, and the deer has great genetics, those deer may add a whole lot of inches. 

Just too many things come in to play to make a generalized statement.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:40 pm

Where I archery hunt the majority of the deer are main frame 4x4's their whole life. 2.5yr 4x4s with about 120" of antler When they get to the 4.5 year range they very often form split G2's (now 5x5) with about 165" of antler.

Where i rifle deer hunt it is very common to see 2.5yr old deer that are 5x5s but might only have 80" of antler.

I believe the # of points is a direct relation to genetics.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

cannycorn2000

Postby cannycorn2000 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:00 am

I would be happy with any of those deer.

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management