Great, great input everyone! Thanks. Not too many comments about Cuddeback. I figured there would be more with all the ads they have in D&DH. Is it due to cost?
5. Are there any out there that take the picture and download it online, so I can view from home without physically checking the device? If not, I'm sure it's in development.
You can bring it home and view it then. I know there is a trail camera out there that send's the pics right to your cell phone after its taken. But I also know those trail cams are a pretty penny.
I'm (finally) in a position to afford a scouting camera. Lots of questions of course. Please weigh in!
What a better group of folks to get advice from!
1. What is the best brand for the money (include cost if known)? [color="#0033cc"]Cuddeback without a doubt[/color]
2. Flash or no flash? [color="#0033ff"]Flash[/color]
3. How often do they need to be checked (ie. how much battery life is there)? [color="#0033cc"]I got 51 days with Duracells or about 1079 images[/color]. [color="#0033cc"]I check every week or so just cause I can't let them be. ( this weekend i really could not stand it and checked a new set after only about 20 hours...70 pics including the big buck I was after who walked in 13 minutes after I left....talk about dumb luck[:)][/color]
4. Tips and tricks (ie. memory cards, settings) [color="#0033cc"]Point it North so you never get the rising or setting sun, belt buckle high, don't use Lexar cards , Sam's Wholesale has awesome buys on 1 gig toshibas, Take a set of climbing sticks and place 10 ft up pointing down for really cool pics, if you are placing over corn don't use the burst mode unless you want a lot of pics the same deer, put on burst mode to get multi pics on a scrape....seeing dirt in the air is cool. IMO you need to get one of the new Cuddebacks ...they are cheaper and use the SD cards you can check in the field with a regular digital camera.[/color] [color="#0033cc"]also they are 3mp and take excellent quality pictures --- I have framed a couple of mine[/color]
5. Are there any out there that take the picture and download it online, so I can view from home without physically checking the device? If not, I'm sure it's in development. Yes I've heard about a "Smart Scouter" they are new this year and about 500 in Cabellas or Bass Pro?....there was another out last year that was about 2100....both work on Cell Phone Service.
6. Ease of use comments [color="#0033cc"]Get one you pre set and turn on and walk away from once in the field preferably from an exterior switch...one of the things Cudde doesn't have per se but they do have a one step switch inside the new ones ...you just have to open the cover to get to it...[/color]
Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 0 guests