Back Tags

umpiremark

Back Tags

Postby umpiremark » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:44 am

When is Wisconsin going to eliminate the back tag?

Has anyone ever done a study to determine the costs of printing back tags each year?

Are there benefits to the back tag (that I'm missing) that out-weigh the printing costs?

One last question ... when will Wisconsin go to on-line and/or phone-in registrations like Iowa and Missouri?
One day my ship will come in!! My luck, I'll be at the airport.

Rancid Sweeny

Re: Back Tags

Postby Rancid Sweeny » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:06 pm

Yes there are a few of us working on getting rid of back tags. I wrote a resolution for the spring hearing and sent it to 5 other guys to run in their county. The resolution passed easily in all 6 counties and will be taken up by the CC and if the DNR does not talk the CC committee out of it, the question will go state wide next spring.

It’s the DNR that continually kills this idea. Its passed in the CC before only to let the DNR talk the CC out of advancing it. If we are not able to get rid of them this way, we will bypass the broken CC and do it legislatively.

The CC in not at all requisite to create or change laws but this way we have a tally of support from sportsmen for the concept.
Formerly Retch Sweeny

hot tamale

Postby hot tamale » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:39 am

I have to say I hope the back tag does not go away.
It keeps some of the people (would be poachers) honest in some instances in that they will have to account for the deer taken.
If the back tag goes away, you could shoot a deer, take it home and butcher it, never calling in the kill, and then go back out again.
it would be next to impossible to keep any type of data on the number of deer taken, age, sex, from where, etc.

I guess to me this makes sense.

what is the alternate idea that you sent into the DNR that would do away with the back tag?

Rancid Sweeny

Postby Rancid Sweeny » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:21 am

hot tamale wrote: I have to say I hope the back tag does not go away.
It keeps some of the people (would be poachers) honest in some instances in that they will have to account for the deer taken.

It does no such thing. Anybody that wants poach will do so.

hot tamale wrote:If the back tag goes away, you could shoot a deer, take it home and butcher it, never calling in the kill, and then go back out again.

You can do that no even with backtags. Backtags dont make law abiding citizens.

hot tamale wrote:it would be next to impossible to keep any type of data on the number of deer taken, age, sex, from where, etc.

False. Nothing is changing in terms of registration and data gathering. Back tags are not an asspect of registration and data gathering. Hunters will still register their deer. Nobody is suggesting otherwise.

hot tamale wrote:what is the alternate idea that you sent into the DNR that would do away with the back tag?

I'll let you know when we get closer to actually getting rid of the backtag law.
Formerly Retch Sweeny

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:42 pm

what's a back tag? sorry guys, FIB point of view here...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Bigfoot

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:08 pm

something that allows you to take expensive hunting clothes and put holes in them for no real reason

in wisconsin the license that is printed out must be displayed while hunting on the outmost garment worn in the center of the back at least deer hunting(i'm not sure what else requires a backtag to be worn)

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:50 pm

This is one thing I actually agree with Retch on. Coming from a state that doesn't require back tags (MN) i never understood, nor do I still, understand the point of having them. It's just another thing to make noise, or potentially lose your license. Sounds like it's an easy way to make a couple bucks and that's about it.

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:52 am

hot tamale,
It reads like you think they are talking about getting rid of tags in general. WI would still have tags. You just wouldn't have to wear it on your back, which makes no sense. You could keep it in your pocket, but you would still be required to tag your deer right away for all the purposes you mention.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:32 am

yeah that doesn't make sense... I guess the logic may be that the game wardens can glass you from a distance and see your tag, so they don't have to walk up on your hunt to check you out.... other than that it seems somewhat frivolous to me...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

eberhaar863828

Postby eberhaar863828 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:03 pm

I may be the only one, but I like back tags. They have been very useful in the dealing with poachers for us. In only one instance did they not have a back tag and guess which one got away? If they are poachers they are not real smart to begin with in my opinion.
Ducks

Next

Return to Wisconsin