Wisconsin 2012 Hunting Journal.

bouhntr

Re: Wisconsin 2012 Hunting Journal.

Postby bouhntr » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:03 pm

I have been out the last 2 nights and have not seen any deer at all. I guess I am spoiled, because I usually see deer almost everytime I go out but lately have seen any, but I will keep at it and hopefully it will turn around . good luck to everyone and be safe:)

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:25 pm

Sat tonight, saw two small bucks, and pulled the cards at my other trails and had some fawns pass my other stand while I was out. First time something passed that close while I was on any stand.

Giving tomorrow a break, too warm after work, will sit Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Probably nothing is going to happen, but we'll see what does.

Oct. 1st coming soon, things are going to start picking up soon...hopefully some cold weather comes with. (all day long)
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:33 pm

I will have time only this Saturday and maybe Sunday morning to get out to hunt. Temps in the 70's. My biggest thing with the weather I been focusing on is wind speed and direction. I haven't payed alot of attention to it in the past. Now, Im seeing more deer since I been paying attention and understanding the wind. I have a feeling we might see a little bit of snow late October into November for the northern part of the state. Which will be awesome. The rut is just around the corner.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:19 pm

colomabuck wrote:Anyone know what happen to Goose? I miss his insight since we both hunted Waushara County!
Been out twice and got a doe my 2nd night. Not seeing many bucks on my cameras, but alot of doe's with twins and couple triplets.

I guess Goose has been pretty busy and got caught up with life kind of what happened to me. I'm trying to get him back on though! :D
QDM!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:21 pm

I think I'm heading out tomorrow night for sure and possibly Sunday night. Going to be WARM! Mornings might even be a better time to sit when the temperature is like this, but I usually don't start to hunt mornings till late October.

I'll keep ya'll posted. Good luck!
QDM!

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:33 am

Hunting with the flu sucks. I never sweated so much while hunting ever. I didn't see any deer lastnight, but they were close toward dark. Just couldn't see them. The brush is thick where I hunt. I also heard a doe bleating. First time I ever heard a real doe bleat.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

BIG 8

Postby BIG 8 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:46 pm

I went out on friday night and had an AMAZING night!! As soon as I got into the stand at around 5 I could hear something going in and out of the corn field to the south of me (my stand is overlooking a pasture that has a thick woods on the west side and standing corn on the other three sides). I looked to the south and saw a doe run out of the corn. About 15 minutes later another deer started approaching. When it got closer I realized it was a buck. When it made it to my shooting lane I saw it was a 2 1/2 year old buck that had a normal 4 point side on the left and a large spike on the right that went up and curved in towards the other, almost touching on the top. That buck hung around for about 10 minutes, at one point he was 5 feet from my tree, and eventually walked off. It was still really early, like 6 o'clock, so I was hoping something bigger would show up and I didn't have to wait long. At bout 6:20 I heard another deer coming out of the corn field to the south. When I looked over there I could see another buck making his way towards me. When he got about 40 yards away he bedded down by a deadfall. I put my bow down and looked through my binoculars and was surprised when I saw 13 points that totaled to about 140" but I also guessed him to be only 3 1/2 so he wasn't a shooter :( . After he laid there for over a half hour a little fork horn came out of the woods and the bigger buck wanted him to know he was boss! He jumped out of his bed, made a quick rub and scrape, and then ran over to the little guy. I stopped him on the way with a mouth bleat and he was 35 yards broadside in my shooting lane, but just too young. He went over to the fork horn and they pushed each other around a bit and then he made two more scrapes and four more rubs!! It was really fun to watch AND I got it all on film so I can keep watching it!! I'll see if I can figure out how to upload a video so you guys can watch it, and I moved a trail camera to that area so if I get any good pics of him or other bucks I'll upload them.

I hope this cool weather thats coming in late this week will get them moving around more. I still haven't gotten a doe yet :? , maybe this weekend. Good luck everyone who goes out this week, and as always, hunt safe.
Addicted to hunting!!

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:57 pm

I look forward to seeing that. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

klingaman80

Postby klingaman80 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:25 am

I have been seeing deer almost every time i have been out, all does from what i can tell but i was out Sunday evening and finally saw my first buck of the year :mrgreen: He was probably 175 yards from my stand that over looks a marsh that is surrounded by trees, I watched him for a good 15 min. as he was going from north to south he would stop use some licking branches and then carried on. I grunted at him a few times he would stop and look but didn't really care he is the big boy and he knows it. I am assuming that he was on his feeding trail moving north to south with the wind at his back. I believe that is going to change very soon as the bucks here in the southern part of the state are going to start using trails that are cross wind and get out of there normal feeding pattern and start there rut pattern. After the first full moon of deer season + cool temps + lose of food source = BIG BUCKS DOWN :P

Ninner75

Postby Ninner75 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:30 am

First login of the year. Good to see you all are keeping things alive. Love this forum. Cold front moving in. Full moon is fading. Seems a little early but can't help but get excited.

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin