Butchered my first deer

Got good taste? Share it with our readers!
DeanoZ

Butchered my first deer

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:10 am

My hunting buddy, helped me with my first butcher job.  Was  alot easier than I thought it would be.  Best part of it was I know what I'm getting and got back all MY meat.  I know there are a lot of book s out there (my buddy had one too) but I'm a show and tell kinda guy, so if your considering butchering your deer, having a buddy whose done it before is a real help.  Made some sausage as well...that was fun!

ZEEK

RE: Butchered my first deer

Postby ZEEK » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:21 am

Good for you. It's work but very satisfying. You Tube also has some good clips for a refresher course.(look under deer processing) I've been cutting my own for years, but got some new ideas that I think I want to try.
Not knowing where you are going is the best way to get
somewhere you've never been.

J. Peterman.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:45 am

Smart thing you did.  I butchered my first deer in the late 70's and have been doing it ever since.  I won't repeat all the advantages because I'm sure you have figured them out already. I was involved with butchering 8 deer last year, which included mine and some hunting buddies. We have turned it into a social event. We tell stories and sip beer. It's all part of hunting and friends. 
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

badtoys

Postby badtoys » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:16 am

my first deer years ago we took it a place where you can watch them cut up your deer while you wait we watched the first time and said hell we can do that so we bought a meat grinder, vac sealer, order bags from ebay much cheaper,i have done close to 100 since then mine, friends, and friends of friends and we also  have turned it into a social event got down to about an hour when me and my girlfiend have help if not add 45 min it's fun in the beginning but gets old quick but better than paying also make the best jerky and sausage around, now everyone wants to buy it but i don't sell it to much work so it's just for me and who i give some too.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:29 am

It's the way to go. Case of beer few friends and fresh back straps right on the grill! Doesn't take long at all. I tend to quarter cube and use rib meat for jerkey. It's nice to have the correct equipment on hand though.

bowhuntr15

Postby bowhuntr15 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:28 am

Guys, I "didn't have time" to work on my own deer, my job schedule changed and now allows me to - I tell you, what a satisfying and rewarding moment.  The couple of beers add some spice to the fellowship.  The stories we share with buddies, neighbors, and significant others are memorable every single time. I am still learning a lot, on every deer for that matter.  My first was a doe.  A friend was a sport to help me and teach me how to get started.  To that man is say - THANKS!
"Perseverance, Practice, Integrity"

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:29 am

[font="Verdana"][/font]The best part about learning how to do your own, is that if you make a mistake, YOU CAN EAT THE EVIDENCE!!!! [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

hookset6969

Postby hookset6969 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:56 pm

I've been doing my own deer for years now and can honestly say that each time it seems I learn a little something different. I have all the equipment so I do steaks, brats, sausage, jerky, burger, etc. The funny thing is I have not had a bad tasting deer since I started doing it myself [:)]

Return to Recipes