Chewing Tobacco

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
RyanCGrover47

Chewing Tobacco

Postby RyanCGrover47 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:09 pm

While sitting in my stand today on a VERY slow opening morning, I got to thinking: How do deer react to chewing tobacco/snuff/etc.?
Like if you chew apple flavor do you think the deer would be attracted to it? Or do you think it would spook them?

Second question: hypothetically speaking you wanted to make your own chewing tobacco specifically to sell to hunters on the basis that it attracts deer, what flavor would you make it? :)

kellory

Re: Chewing Tobacco

Postby kellory » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:27 pm

Estrous, It couldn't be any grosser than a spit bottle. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

wordbird

Postby wordbird » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:31 pm

I don't know if you remember the Benoits that used to write for Outdoor Life, I think, but they were the big northern woods trackers that consistently killed big deer. He chewed and remarked that he thought they liked the smell of the molasses in the tobacco. I don't chew while bow hunting but do a lot when gun hunting.
"The trophy is in the eye of the beholder."

RyanCGrover47

Postby RyanCGrover47 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:50 pm

kellory wrote:Estrous, It couldn't be any grosser than a spit bottle. ;)

I think that taste might make it a little hard to get used to though. haha.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:45 pm

I avoid dipping on stand. Its real tempting when there is nothing going on. If i did, I would avoid spitting on the forest floor below me by swallowing (gutting) or using a spit bottle. I have to eventually set my gear on the ground, and I have deer beneath my treestand at times. I do not want them tipped off of my presence, and really wouldn't want chew spit all over my bow and stuff when I rope them to the ground either. I really don't think your scent control dip idea would fair well. But who knows, some guy is out there selling hunting jackets that apparently block your magnetic waves.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:45 pm

My first flavor would be "Tasty Tarsal Gland" :)

Imagine getting that smell stuck on your upper lip.

RyanCGrover47

Postby RyanCGrover47 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:29 am

I just threw the ideal scent idea out there to see what answers I would get. But I was at the local outdoor store a few weeks ago and at the counter they had scent control gum. I said to the guy "people really buy that stuff?" and he said "yeah, actually you'd be surprised how many people buy it." I'm sure I could find someone to buy it. I've got a friend who chews Skoal Apple on stand and says that's the only flavor he chews during hunting season. To each his own I guess.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:26 pm

I've chewed the apple flavored Skoal while hunting... i've had deer move through and not even notice it really... i've had friends tell me that deer have walked up and smelled and tasted their chew spit on the ground whether it be straight or flavored...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:43 pm

I will have to give apple skoal a try.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:36 pm

RyanCGrover47 wrote:I just threw the ideal scent idea out there to see what answers I would get. But I was at the local outdoor store a few weeks ago and at the counter they had scent control gum. I said to the guy "people really buy that stuff?" and he said "yeah, actually you'd be surprised how many people buy it." I'm sure I could find someone to buy it. I've got a friend who chews Skoal Apple on stand and says that's the only flavor he chews during hunting season. To each his own I guess.

I have used the gum. They call it gum-ouflage. It's do-able, but it's nothing to right home about. Tends to go granular in your mouth after a while. I think eating trail mix and apples would do more for you. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Next

Return to General Discussions