Wisconsin 2012 Hunting Journal.

Jslotter

Re: Wisconsin 2012 Hunting Journal.

Postby Jslotter » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:46 pm

This cold front should get deer moving. Im setting up between a cornfield and a creek tomorrow afternoon. This kinda cold front would be ideal during the rut, but I'll take it as is. I would concentrate on feeding areas the next few days.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:11 am

I got into the woods later in the afternoon yesterday on some public land on the edge of a swamp next to a creek. An area I never been in, but I've hunted the same parcel, just in different spots. Found a good trail running along the creek and found a tree that God must have put there to be hunted out of. Perfect set up. Nice tight group of tall straight trees with a dead tree right next to it to break up your outline. Perfect shooting lanes, awesome view over the canary grass and creek. The wind was blowing pretty hard the whole time. About an hour after setting up, I could barely hear some movement in the brush behind me. I knew it was deer but I didn't want to move and blow my cover. I sat and before I knew it, they were about 20 yards to my right. I was facing left. The wind was blowing hard and I knew I could get away with slowly turning around. I did, seen the the two does next to the creek eating on some green undergrowth. They didn't even notice me which I thought they were. They looked in my direction a few time but never seen me. Cool. They would not clear that one singe patch of brush for a shot. Whatever they were eating was right in that brush pile. One of the does finally stepped out quartering away from me. I pulled back, set the pin on the lung factory and let her fly. I seen the arrow hit her in the right hind quarter. I knew right away my string hit my jacket sleeve, which I usually use a string guard, but not yet this year. That will change on the next hunt. She limped quickly away and went further and further and back into the swamp. The arrow still sticking, not even half way out of her. The other doe stood there for a few minutes, then eventually ran out. It was a terrible shot and I knew it. I sat there about a half hour. It was beginning to get dark too. I know I should give her some more time, but the game warden doesn't give a crap. Public land is a little different. The warden catches you coming out of the woods after shooting hours, that can be a ticket and more BS to have to deal with than I already have to deal with at this moment. I got down, went to check the spot where she stood. No blood, no hair, nothing. I swept the entire area for about an hour and a half til dark and found no trace of her. If she laid down, it wasn't until she was in the swamp. I don't think I pushed her. I didn't here any deer running out the whole time. Maybe she died? I don't know. Im gonna find some time today to search, and just to find some closure to this deal and maybe we will find her, and maybe we won't...

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:33 am

Sorry to hear it. Tall straight trees you say? ;) head to the last spot you saw her (checking for tracks , not just blood) and set up a climber on one of those tall straight trees, and go up to get a good view with the binos. likely you will glass her without bumping her. Just work quiet. ;)

EDIT: I wasn't fully clear....You may glass her, but you will be able to see her path better from above, be quiet so you don't bumper if she is close.
Last edited by kellory on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:51 am

The area I was in yesterday is probably my new favorite spot. Almost every tree can accomodate a climber stand and there are some heavy trails coming out the swamp toward the corn fields about a quarter mile away. I might have to get back up into the tree and reply the scenario. And as you mentioned Kellory, maybe she has been right under my nose. I think she will be fine. About 5 years ago, where I used to live, the neighbors had a buck with an arrow sticking out of its chest and some how managed to live a few more years until he was shot during a rifle season. They are incredibly strong animals.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:58 pm

No recovery on that doe. We swept thru the swamp, all the way back to where I was set up and nothing. Got some good scouting out of it, thats about it.

bouhntr

Postby bouhntr » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:48 pm

I went out thursday night to a stand I havn't sat in yet . wich is always exciting for me. I sat until dark and did'nt see any deer.I also went out last night for 31\2 hrs and did'nt see any deer then either. It was really windy out ,so maybe they just were not moving much. I talked with the land owner and he said he has not seen any deer hit by vehicles this year or heard any brakes locking up. but when he has been on the tractor going around the farm he has seen lots of deer sign, I hunt in columbia county and heard that ehd hit the county hard this year with the drought,but my trail cameras are showing deer but most pics are during the night. I hope things change pretty soon, it gets to be long days in the stand when you don't see anything. good luck to everyone hope you are all seeing some deer.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:22 am

went out last night with high expectations but was let down. saw two does and my first buck of the year (finally, after this being my fourth sit) very strange year this year. usually this spot is money for deer and big, mature bucks....nothing yet. the buck was a 1.5 yo. got him on video right in front of me though so that was kind of cool! can't wait for these big corn fields to my north and south to get picked. our other property is probably a better better right now with how big they are hitting the corn right now, but didn't have the right wind for that.

i'm getting married next saturday, so unless i can find some time to get out during the week i prob won't be out for a couple weeks!
QDM!

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:35 pm

buckhunter21 wrote:went out last night with high expectations but was let down. saw two does and my first buck of the year (finally, after this being my fourth sit) very strange year this year. usually this spot is money for deer and big, mature bucks....nothing yet. the buck was a 1.5 yo. got him on video right in front of me though so that was kind of cool! can't wait for these big corn fields to my north and south to get picked. our other property is probably a better better right now with how big they are hitting the corn right now, but didn't have the right wind for that.

i'm getting married next saturday, so unless i can find some time to get out during the week i prob won't be out for a couple weeks!

I have only seen one buck also this season. Im glad Im seeing does though. Last year I seen only about 3.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:11 pm

buckhunter21 wrote:i'm getting married next saturday, so unless i can find some time to get out during the week i prob won't be out for a couple weeks!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Didn't you get these things OK'd already ;)
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

BIG 8

Postby BIG 8 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:01 pm

I went out on saturday night. It was a perfect night to be in the stand! The wind had calmed down finally so I figured the deer would be moving but I didn't see anything until about 6:50 when I heard a deer walking my way. When the deer cleared some trees I could see it was the same 3 1/2 old buck I saw last week. He made his way into my shooting lane and stopped broadside at 30 yards, but again I gave him the free pass. He eeds one more year and he'll be a really big buck. Hopefully he can make it through the year. I put a picture of him on the trail camera section if you want to check him out.
Addicted to hunting!!

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin