Victories

djohns13

Victories

Postby djohns13 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:30 am

Any Hoosiers having any luck yet?  If so, post the photos or at least a story.

I have been out just a few times but have only seen a spike so far and a couple that were way too far away.  Hopefully everyone else is having better luck than I am.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

djohns13

RE: Victories

Postby djohns13 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:27 am

Still no successes out there?  I was only out once this week and only saw a spike buck that was dumb enough to walk right in front of two stands as he made his way through the food plot.  Lucky for him one stand was empty and I was in the other.

Sure will be glad when this dry spell is over!

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

joker1656

Postby joker1656 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:31 am

No luck here, yet.  I woke up late this morning.  I didn't set an alarm, because I went to bed with pounding headache, and didn't know if I would feel up to hunting.  I woke up and didn't feel so good, but not so bad that I couldnt drag myself out there.  It was late, and the sun was already up, but I sneaked through the woods to my tree.  I tied my bow to my rope, and started climbing.   

I was just getting ready to pull my bow up, when something caught my eye.  There was a half-rack young buck walking under my tree.  This blew my mind, because I had barely finished locking my climber down.  When I say UNDER my tree, I mean he nearly stepped on my bow.  LOL  Needless to say, I was stuck without my bow for awhile.  He finally left the area, and I pulled 'er up.

Even with the high hopes I had, I didn't see anything else for the next 2-3 hrs.  It started drizzling, and blowing very  hard, so I debated on going home.  I tried to wait it out, because I hoped it would clear up.  My tree was moving so much I felt like I was getting motion sickness, so I decided to cut my losses.  I have been home for about 1 hr.  Now the sun is out, and it looks like the wind has dropped to nil.  Figures...

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:56 pm

Finally, my Martin Bengal claims its first victim!!!

Instead of hunting my usual haunts, a buddy invited me up to his hunting grounds in White County.  Got in the stand before 5 p.m. and saw my first deer at 5:30.  Saw 22 in all but they were all out of range.  Called an 8 pointer to within 60 yards but couldn't get it any closer.  Very near dark I saw a doe in a cut bean field and mouth called her.  She turned and headed straight toward me.  I hit the release when she was 18 yards away and somehow (I still don't understand how) I shot barely beneath her.  I bet I shaved some white hairs I was so close.  As she ran off, I was cussing myself for being such a moron and was getting ready to take off my release and start the process of climbing down when I looked to the right and saw a buck following her into my clearing.  I waited until he was in the same spot as the doe and put a very solid hit on him.  Was amazed though that I didn't get complete penetration.  Called my buddies and their flashlights in for help and after a long and tedious tracking job we found him in a nearby cut corn field.  There was a large amount of ground shrinkage as the eight pointer wasn't nearly as big as I thought from the tree stand, but I am ecstatic.  I believe every archery kill is a trophy.  It was a great day in the stand including the high winds and sleet pelting me in the face.  The post mortem showed that I hit a little back with a very solid liver hit and the thunderhead stuck in the middle of a rib on the off side.  It always feels great to get the first one of the season.  Pictures will be posted later.

Hope the rest of the hoosiers are having some success as well.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:24 pm

I put one doe down in September during urban. I have been out at least once every weekend since and have seen deer, mostly small bucks and does. I am holding out for buck now with general archery tag. Will be out this weekend.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

joker1656

Postby joker1656 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:32 am

Congrats, djohns13!  Looking forward to the pics.  I Hope to hit it hard this weekend.  Hope the weather cools down.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:14 am

I've got a three day weekend coming up. Weather should be much cooler. Yesterday I saw a nice big buck running a field on the way home from work. Looks like the bucks are getting up and moving even with this unseasonably warm weather. This weekend ought to be sweet spot. Hope! [;)]

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:22 am

In the last three days, I have seen a dramatic increase in roadkilled deer.  This is usually a strong sign that the chasing phase is ramping up.  Along with the colder weather forecast for this weekend, I think the woods should be hopping soon.  I hope to be out to take a couple of does that are getting pushed around by the bucks.

Good luck to all, be sure and let us know how your hunt went.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:30 am

I have Saturday, Sunday and Monday. If the weather forcast holds Sat should see some early precip then good weather and fair winds...

Oh man, I'm chomping at the bit here.

I also have next Thursday and Friday off as well. Calling for light snow showers on Thursday! Doesn't get any better than that!

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:58 am

Failure and Success!

I missed a nice 8 pointer Sunday morning. [:(] Another case of buck fever and ready fire aim. Only good thing was it was clean miss. I am really getting tired of saying that. [8|]

Then two hours later I have four does come right into my zone. I watched them for a good five minutes and sized them up. The largest one never would get in the clear, but the second biggest one finally came broadside at 11 or 12 yards and I put a shot right through the vitals albiet a little high as it turned out. My first clean passthrough! She bolted and I could see her start to wooble then a crash just as she went out of sight at about 90 yards or so. I waited for 30 minutes then got down an looked at my arrow nice pink and some bubbles. Started looking for blood, but none... Looked some more, no blood. I knew exactly which trail she took, but absolutely no blood! I just followed the trail right to her and realized my shot into her was a little high and the exit side was abot mid chest. She died before the blood started to come out I guess. She weighed 124lb at check in. Pictures will come soon as I get them developed, yes I said developed...

Got my second archery tag and will be back out tomorrow and Friday.

Next

Return to Indiana