What are those michgan hunters seeing???

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Archery_NUT

What are those michgan hunters seeing???

Postby Archery_NUT » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:27 pm

how has the hunting been in michigan so far this year especially in isabella and mecosta counties anyone know
bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

DeerCamp

RE: What are those michgan hunters seeing???

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:47 am

Ive been seeing more and more.. I shot a 3pt the other day. I havent been seeing a lot of bucks tho. I think that was the 4th or 5th buck ive seen.  It's hard to stay out there with out the bait. I liked hunting close to home because I had a great spot. I go up to the UP for gun and dont hunt over bait. I seem to see a lot there and enjoy not hunting over bait there. All in all Ive seen a deer everyday this week. So I cant complain much. I guess Im just use to seeing 4 or 5 a night.. Keeps me company ya know? Hang in there your not far from me. Hit the grunt tube and do some rattling. Did you check out any farms?
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:56 am

Well funny I should see this thread today.

I just talked with my aunt in Gratiot not two hours ago.

I would say based on her report and the local law enforcement (in Gratiot and Mt. Pleasant anyways) that the rut would be what they call the "chase phase" I believe.

Apparently there was an article in the paper today (http://www.themorningsun.com/articles/2 ... 939480.txt) about a buck standing over a car-struck doe, and he wouldn't leave it.
She also said she and my uncle counted no less than 10 car-struck deer in 15 minutes!!!

I would say the deer are seriously moving right now. If I recall they chase phase was like 10 days +/-????? That would put the peak of this years rut right around the predicted time of November 18th.

I will be arriving in 11 loooooooooooooooong days from now!!
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:47 pm

Sailfish, I live only 20 mins from Mt.P and have a friend that goes there.Im there all the time...If you would like I could give you some more reports when ever you need them.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:55 am

Thanks, that's great to hear.

I'll be hunting Sumner opening day.

Hopefully they will still be chasing!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:43 am

Yeah i would say they are starting to rev up for the rut, i hit a small doe a few weeks back, she was runing with two larger ones (thank god i hit the small one!) lol! i have seen a lot on the sides of the road too, and everyone i know seems to text me when they almost hit one or see some running across the road lol, so i would say its has been starting up. The doe's don't seem to be in estrous yet, so you still have plenty of time to get here sailfish ;) im sitting here in bed for the last few days, stupid cold! I should be out in the woods!

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:38 am

You guys are in the middle of a heat-wave and you have a cold!?!?!??! [:D]

j/k

You have 10 days to get well!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:25 am

Yeah makes a lot of sense doesnt it? lol! As long as im out there a lot for the 15th-23rd i'll be good to go. Those are projected to be the best days to be out on the woods according to Alsheimer if you go by his calulations, which i now tend to do after last years debacle... 

Archery_NUT

Postby Archery_NUT » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:36 am

coool i will be outr in the woods to
bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

Return to General Discussions