Hunting shows-hunting over food plots

Jslotter

Re: Hunting shows-hunting over food plots

Postby Jslotter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:28 pm

Bill Winke does have a good show on the internet. I frequent it, and he does offer alot of good advice, but I feel so out of touch watching his shows because he is constantly shooting huge bucks on his land. Thats great, but I feel his style of hunting is light years ahead of my type of hunting. I don't own land where I can manage a deer herd like many of those big name hunters have. I think thats where everyday people kinda lose touch with them. Its fun to watch sometimes, but some of these hunting shows are way over the top.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

rosonj07

Postby rosonj07 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:48 pm

Yes i agree to some extent. Bill does own quite a bit of land, 1000 acres roughly i remember him mentioning in some blog of his. The way he presents the show is what keeps me going back. A lot of these mature bucks he shoots he has them tracked all the way back to when they were a 2-1/2 year old and brings you through the entire journey until they reach full maturity (yes easier to do when you have 1000 acres). He also has a ton of informational shows in the off-season you can watch. Also, the state shows are truly the shows to watch if you want someone you can relate yourself too. Many of these hunters own very minimal land and some i believe even hunt public land at times. Anyways, I like the bill because he worked his way up through the hunting profession, he gets his young kids involved in the hunting, and does not come off as arrogant like some of these hunters on TV.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:03 pm

Skip the shows and read some books. Do your due diligence on reading reviews and about 1/4 of the books you read won't completely disappoint you...

John Eberhart's instructional DVD set is good if you haven't already seen it.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Sopchoppy

Postby Sopchoppy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:02 pm

Up till a couple of months ago, I watched every hunting show on the tube. 'Bout all it did was make me want to buy stuff. Of late, I've been watching the beginning of most shows to see how long into the show before they hunt or much less shoot a deer. The longest was 17 minutes into the show before the hunting started. 99% of them now is more "fluff" than substance and "celebrity hunters" telling us they owe all their success to this camera or that bow or broadhead or whatever. There are a couple of shows that have "Whitetail" or "Antler" in their title and they hunt turkeys, sheep, hogs, wooly buggers or whatever. It's just a big ole business using hunting as a hook.

hot tamale

Postby hot tamale » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:19 am

Well I went on Amazon.com and found a bunch of books that I purchased for a fraction of the cost of the in store prices. The book that was recommended is $60 and I refuse to pay that amount for any book. It's paper for the love of God!!! if it was in laid with gold or something I could see it but I refuse to pay for somebody's retirement all with the purchase of one book!!!!

That being said, I got one book in the mail already today called "On The Hunt-the history of deer hunting in Wisconsin by robert c Willging.
Great book so far. it covers hunting from the first settlers, through the almost eradication of deer in the 1800's and early 1900's. It even covers up to the recent CWD.
great old pics of hunting camps and deer taken back in the day.
I do recommend this book. got it for $7 on Amazon. $3 for shipping.
I'm done with the shows, everybody is selling something and it's getting worse than a block of 20 commercials between programs on regular tv.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:39 pm

Willging's book is a good read. Enjoy!

Previous

Return to Wisconsin