I'm thinking this season may have promise

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sailfish

I'm thinking this season may have promise

Postby Sailfish » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:33 pm

Landowner opened up some new area to me this year.
The original piece of the property I had, was loaded with doe, but I saw only a spike and nub last year

So I set out a camera 2 weeks ago in an area I scouted that appeared to have some promise.
I still have to set up some stands next weekend (archery is only a few weeks away) but today I found enough tree's/area's that should allow me to hunt this new ground no matter the wind.
This morning it sounded like a million tiny little drums all over forest with the acorn drop
I imagine they should continue to drop through opening.
I think these guys haven't fully reached their max potential yet.Rut is Januaryish

I can't tell with 100% certainty if this fella is one of the two above,,,,,,but it does appear to be pretty wide as well as tall tines from that distance. He never did poke his head outta the thick stuff.
Photobucket auto shrinks the pics, you can see the detail better on the full size pic
Here is with arrows:

This guy would make a NICE european mount. I saw him in a thunderstorm (It appears to be that big fella) a few weeks back. I'd say he's in the #300 class

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Sailfish

Re: I'm thinking this season may have promise

Postby Sailfish » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:00 am

Went out Saturday morning to hang stands, clear some shooting lanes etc.
Got a stand hung in the area of the pics (above), hoping that I didn't run everything off being in there 2 x in the last 3 weeks.
Opening is this Saturday (just a reminder, I just got access to this part of the land only weeks ago).

I had my camera in another area I was hoping would show some life as well, but pics were empty......nothing. I was in need of another location.
There is some thick thick thick stuff east of my the new stand that was just so filled with underbrush, vines, trees etc I didn't think I could access it or if it was even worth it. But while sitting atop the new stand I looked over that way and saw what appeared to be a small clearing about 50 yards in to the thick stuff.
With John Eberhart's words and approach stuck in my head.......I moved full speed ahead.
I literally was on my knees, and then in ankle deep water cutting, chopping, clippping an access route using what appeared to be a seldom used deer path as a guide.
When I got to the clearing it was like central station. Well used paths in all directions met at this point. grass, oaks, a berm (in FL imagine that; could be an old shell midden) and a small crick. I looked around for a decent tree and I was fortunate to find a straight pine with a great backdrop with excellent cover. It was covered in thick vines that I had to carve off the tree as I climbed up in my climber but once at the top it was perfect. About 18-19' or so. Highl enough I think, since the deer shouldn't be able to peg me from afar (the whole angle thing and the dense cover around) before they get in the clearing. The berm is behind me as well as the cric. All the routes to the cric come from my front or side and the main path to the oaks and the cric is under me.
I of course think its ideal. The only egregious error I feel I made (well other than stinking up the place with my profuse sweatin') was I forgot to cover my climber with brush. I drink 2 liters of water by noon, my hammies and fingers were cramping, I was hungry and beat..........it just slipped my mind :(
I have no plans to hit this area until the water in the woods dries up, and the crick is the only source. At least 2-3 weeks out, so maybe they'll get used to the new "chair in the living room".
We'll see.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:18 pm

Good luck Sailfish.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:14 pm

That is a big freaking buck!

Sounds like you are in the sweet spot. I wouldn't go into that thick area again 'til the rut, but that is just me.

Good luck.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Return to General Discussions