Over doing it!

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
JOEL

RE: Over doing it!

Postby JOEL » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:15 am

keep knocking maybe they'll answer the door[:)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:22 am

LOL...will do for sure Joel, I don't give up that easy ;)

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:49 am

All great advise. One thing about snorts. If you hear 2 quick and along snort. This is a snort weez and usally means a big boy is trailing a hot doe or is about to run off a younger buck. Don't just think your busted, you could of just pissed off the local dominent buck with all the smelly stuff. This is just something I have seen.

Best of luck to ya

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:55 am

mag30079, yeap thought about that too, but it was not the snort wheeze you get from a dom buck trying to run off another buck...more of the "sumptin ain't right here...your busted" snort.  funny thing is the deer must of snorted like a half dozen times all about 10-15 seconds apart...finally I was like "allright already...yeah I'm busted, got it...now move along so ya don't let every deer within a 25 mile radius know!!!" 

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:11 am

funny thing is the deer must of snorted like a half dozen times all about 10-15 seconds apart...finally I was like "allright already...yeah I'm busted, got it...now move along so ya don't let every deer within a 25 mile radius know!!!" 
[/quote]

LOL

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:03 am

Got to love it when they do that.

I've watched them do it to other deer, then I really get unhappy.  Afterall, it's one thing to get busted, but have one snorting and not even knowing you're there, well that's just not right.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:23 am

Don't get to discouraged [:)] As for calling with bleats and grunts i might tone it down some, i don't like to call any sooner than 1/2 an hr apart at the earliest, and i'm learning that calling blind might not be the best idea in the world, i haven't had much luck with it, and if you don't do it right and their is a deer nearby, your going to spook it and never get a chance at it without even knowing it's there most likely. I don't think the scents you are using are overkill. Here in Lower MI i have seen a lot more bucks in fields eating with does checking m out in daylight and also walking all around in the woods (too bad i havent been able to get a shot off) but they are up and moving more as the rut approaches [:)] I would keep using the estrous stuff (but maybe something cheaper than code blue!! lol! j/k if you can afford it by all means use it lol, i hear it works great! i wish i had money to buy some lol) and dont be too upset about the human urine thing, human urine does not effect deer in a negative way, they have done tests and it seems to interest the deer some rather than tend to scare them off. Plus i think i read like 85% of scrapes are visited at night... so i mean finding some is great! But hunting right near them might not be the best idea, unless you know they are coming to check em right before daybreak or dusk. A better bet would be to try to find a great food source or even better, the bedding area.. just nto too close [;)] good luck though!! You'll get one as ong as you stay with it!!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:59 am

Thanks all for the feedback and support...I'm not discouraged, actually I would have been more discouraged if I had seen nothing...even when button boy stumbled through it was better than not seeing a thing..and the fact that I got snorted to the front and back of me tells me they were around, just could not bring them through.  Its raining today so I'm going to pass on sitting in the stand today, not because I'm afraid of getting wet, but the winds are high, I'm a bit leary of climbing the tree in the rain, and based on my last two deer shots, I need a blood trail that won't wash away.  Probably sit in the stand tommorrow afternoon or friday morning.  I'll keep you all posted!

Previous

Return to Best Practices