question about scent control

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
tdoro89

question about scent control

Postby tdoro89 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:18 am

I live in Northern Virginia, Fairfax county to be exact. The deer in this area are rampant. Our hunting season starts september 1st and goes through till March 1st. The area is highly populated with people.

My question is about scent control, specifically; do i need to be as scrupulous about scent control as someone who lives in a much less human populated area? The deer in my area are city deer, i think its safe to say that probably 99% of the deer in NOVA are never farther than 1 mile, dare i say a quarter mile, away from people.

I've always washed my clothes in baking soda, air dried them outside, sprayed them with scent killer, and stored them in an air tight plastic tote. This year im going to be hunting mainly in the evening after work (office job). Are there any measures i can take to de-scent my body, quickly right before i go into the woods??

In the mornings i take a shower with scent killer body wash and use scent free deodorant. Im confident that my morning hunts are very scent free.

Deebz

Re: question about scent control

Postby Deebz » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:28 am

I've had this discussion with my hunting buddies before. It does seem to make sense that the more people are around, the less the deer will be concerned about human scent. However, I am more of the opinion that the deer become used to the human scent and activity ONLY WHERE THE HUMANS NORMALLY ARE. If the deer are hanging out in the wooded spots and fields, they know that people aren't there usually. Therefore, if they catch the scent of a person where they aren't used to smelling people, it will spook them as much as other deer in more remote places.

I would think a deer who has less contact with humans will be less likely to spook at a human scent than deer with more experience.

As far as de-scenting for a quick afternoon sit, your best option is to have a complete change of clothes as scent free as possible, change in the field and use some kind of wipe on the smelliest parts... and try not to work up a sweat on the walk in
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

tdoro89

Postby tdoro89 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:32 am

Yeah this all sounds about right to me. Any idea what kind of wipes i could use?

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:54 am

I know I've seen some specifically for hunting advertised, but I couldn't tell you the company or whatever... Maybe even try to find some kind of unscented baby wipes or something along those lines??
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:30 am

What Deebz said, plus start taking chlorophyll supplements. They help a lot.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:15 am

I you don't mind spending a few bucks, companies like "Dead Down Wind" make complete kits for hunters containing shampoo, laundry soap, dryer sheets, wipes, and sprays for in the field. (All the stuff you could gather together yourself) All to kill as much scent as possible. You will find these scent kits at places like Gander Mountain, Dick's, Walmart.
I don't use them, but I have seen them.

Woodsie, Where is the best place to get the I'm not a hunter, I'm a plant pills? I've never used them, but I am thinking of trying them. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:57 am

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/search/con ... e+matchall

The 100mg at the top of the page is the best deal and 100's are PLENTY for what you want them for. With the 600's you'll think a heifer fed on pure alfalfa used your bathroom! :o :mrgreen:
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:43 am

Woods Walker wrote:http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/search/controller?sourceType=ps&source=google&adGroup=Brand_Term_Only&keyword=vitamin+shoppe&cm_mmc=Google+AdWords-_-US_Brand-_-Brand_Term_Only-_-vitamin+shoppe&mkwid=sCqqZVkjC&pcrid=26154543229&kw=vitamin%20shoppe&match=e&N=0&Ntk=SiteSearch&Ntt=chlorophyll&Nty=1&D=chlorophyll&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchall

The 100mg at the top of the page is the best deal and 100's are PLENTY for what you want them for. With the 600's you'll think a heifer fed on pure alfalfa used your bathroom! :o :mrgreen:

Interesting....contains copper. As a dietary supplement? I thought copper was dangerous to eat. (When kids eat coins, it's the pennies that they worry about, and they are an alloy now.)
Is chlorophyll marketed strictly to hunters, or is there a medical reason for it? :?:
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:45 pm

Well I have heard that they give it to residents in nursing homes to reduce the odor of their emissions, if you get my drift. As far as a dietary supplement I have no idea. They stock and sell a lot of it so I'd guess that it's more than hunters that are buying it. I only go in there once a year for my two bottles and that's it.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:51 am

Chlorophyll is marketed as a "cleansing agent". Anyone who has ever OD'd on the stuff will vouch for its effectiveness.

Next

Return to Best Practices